Trump supporter holds strong following second presidential debate

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton listens to Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump during the second presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016. (Patrick Semansky/AP)

Sunday night was the second debate between candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.

The style was in a Town Hall format and was moderated by Martha Raddatz and Anderson Cooper.

“[Trump] was terrible at the start but he surprisingly is doing better,” fifth-semester Business Finance major Marc Lupinacci Jr. said.

Lupinacci is a Trump supporter and liked the Town Hall style of the debate.

“I like that they have the people asking the questions,” Lupinacci said. “However, I would like to hear more about what they will do rather than the failures of the others past and attacking each other.”

Following the release of footage of lewd comments made by Trump while on  “Access Hollywood,” Raddatz and Cooper directed questions at Trump regarding the relationship he has had with women throughout his life.

Clinton did not engage in much commentary on the tape scandal, citing a mantra of First Lady Michelle Obama, “When they go low, we go high.”

“I think he handled it well,” Lupinacci said. “He knew he was going to get blasted for it, so the most important thing was to handle himself well and be prepared for the rest of the debate. He apologized and said he is different, so I feel he did almost as well as he could.”

The debate also discussed the concerns the American people have over foreign policy measures of the presidential candidates.

Trump avoided these questions to bring the direction back to his concerns over ISIS and Clinton’s supporting vote in the Iraq War. Clinton drew on her experiences as Secretary of State to answer about her fitness to lead on such issues, without delving too deeply into the answer.

“I feel like neither of them really talked about [foreign policy] other than talking about ISIS,” Lupinacci said.  

“Clinton won the debate but Trump turned a lot of good points around on Hillary,” Lupinacci said. “And he has a few points to turn things around.”

Lupinacci is still a Trump supporter even though he identifies Clinton as the winner.

“I picked Trump form the beginning when the Republican bench was still in the double digits,” Lupinacci said. “I was thrilled to have a business man finally running because this country needed something different. I have been using the debate to help understand more about the party I associate with and see how many of their ideas I actually agree with. This races has seemed to reassure me that I am definitely not a Democrat.”

Elizabeth Charash is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at