Review: The best apps to keep track of 'Aunt Flo' inconspicuously

Clue - Free

All women (and probably most of the guys in our lives) know that having your period can be annoying and a literal pain, but having to dig through tons of apps to find one that doesn’t scream, “I’M ON MY PERIOD” with little smiling uteruses doesn’t have to be an additional annoyance.

Thanks to Clue, available for iOS and Android devices, this app could not make tracking your cycle any more inconspicuous. Not that there isn’t anything wrong with feminine period tracking apps, but not everyone necessarily wants it to be projected on their phone while out in public.

Clue makes tracking period cycles, and other personal information including bleeding, pain, emotions, sleep, sex and energy, simple and private.  (Courtesy/Clue)

Clue is sleek and modern and lets the user have their privacy. Most wouldn’t know what the app is actually for just from the icon or name alone.

How Clue works is that on the daily calendar, you can add as much or as little data as you want. Information such as: your emotional state, pain experiences like headaches or cramps, how heavy your flow was and even whether or not you had protected or unprotected sex that day.

Over time, the app can help to better predict when your cycle will begin and end. Clue even tracks your ovulation cycle. There is also the additional option of uploading your period cycle into a cloud and letting others review and compare your cycle to theirs.

Clue is backed by scientific research (they even include works cited pages and footnotes) and helps to better educate the user so they can understand the biological implications of their cycles.

Overall, Clue is the smart and sophisticated way for the busy, female college student to keep track of those pesky periods.  

Period Tracker Lite – Free

Want a period tracking app that is a little less clinical than Clue? Period Tracker Lite has all the benefits of Clue, but in a slightly more feminine package.

Available for iOS and Android, Period Tracker Lite offers you some privacy as well, showing up as “P Tracker Lite” on your home screen.

Period Tracker lite utilizes emoji-style icons to track emotions while users are on their period, and even has a daily birth control pill reminder. (Courtesy/Period Tracker lite)

This app also tracks your period in a calendar format and has the added benefit of estimating your fertility window as well. One of the broader options of Period Tracker Lite, compared to Clue, is that you can use little emoji-style icons to represent different moods, as well adding birth control pill reminders.

Not only does the app allow you to back up your information into a cloud, but you can also email all the data to yourself. For $1.99 you can upgrade to the deluxe version of the app, which provides more features such as education about how fertile cycles correlate to body temperature.

Some might not appreciate the “girly” aesthetic of Period Tracker Lite, but it is just as effective as Clue and gets the job done without announcing your menstrual cycle to the world. 

Anna Marini is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus at the Waterbury campus. She can be reached via email at anna.marini@uconn.edu.