ESPN, I Beg of You: Please stop updating me on Tim Tebow

Former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow warms up before baseball practice for the Arizona Fall League, Monday, Oct. 10, 2016, in Scottsdale, Ariz. (Rick Scuteri/AP)

Sept. 8, 2016 was a fateful day in the sports world. It was not a day of history, nor was it a day of particularly exciting games; no, it was the day that the New York Mets signed Tim Tebow to a minor league deal.

And we have not stopped hearing about it since.

We heard about his workouts. We heard about his below-average defense, his average-at-best offense. We heard what ESPN might as well have branded “The shot heard ‘round the world,” a.k.a. Tebow hitting a home run on the first pitch he ever saw in his first instructional league game. We also heard about him going hitless for the remainder of his time in the league, and how he went 0-for-3 and crashed into the wall in his Arizona Fall League debut.

Perhaps most ridiculous of all, people are now heralding Tebow as the second coming of Jesus after a fan at the Arizona Fall League had a seizure, and he immediately rushed to tend to the poor man. Seemingly out of nowhere, the man’s seizure stopped. (News flash: Seizures typically last 60-90 seconds anyway, people!)

Tebow is a true child of God!

Okay, I’m obviously kidding. But I for one was sick of the Tebow lovefest as soon as he hit the NFL. He was an incredible player in college, but it was clear that he was not a professional level quarterback, as evidenced by his frequent fumbles and having the lowest passing completion rate in the 2011-12 season. It was great when he was an analyst on the SEC Network and he wasn’t forced down my throat by mainstream media. But the second it was announced that he was going to test the baseball market, I knew it was only a matter of time before I was going to have to deal with all of this again.

I joked about Tebow going to the Mets. Because that’s so Mets, right? Haha, wouldn’t it be so funny if they actually signed Tebow?!

Update: It’s not funny anymore.

The only reason Tebow went to the Mets is because they were the only team that would allow him to keep his TV deal with the SEC Network. In any other season, I would pin this as a typical PR move, only signing Tebow to get the intense media coverage to stay relevant.

But on Sept. 8, the Mets were in the thick of a Wild Card race. They were getting plenty of attention already, and even if they weren’t in a playoff race, they were already on the radar from their 2015 World Series run. So why did they even sign him? Did they just feel bad for him? Did they actually think he could one day make a valuable contribution to a major league roster?

Either way, now that the Mets are putting Tebow on Fall League rosters next to actual major league prospects like Mets SS prospect Gavin Cecchini and Yankees 1B prospect Greg Bird, one has to wonder just how legit Tebow is, considering he really doesn’t do anything except hit home runs once every 20 at-bats (and even that is a stretch).

Until he actually starts doing things of value, I kindly ask ESPN and other such sports media to please spare me and quit sending out updates every time Tim Tebow thinks about a baseball field. We all had enough coverage of him for the past five years. We’re still recovering from that. I’m looking at you, SportsCenter!

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at She tweets @steph_sheehan