Inactive clubs disband after active students graduate, trends show

Student clubs look for new members during the Fall Involvement Fair on Sept. 14, 2016. The university has around 600 clubs and organizations and over the past year, 30 university clubs have ceased to exist. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Since last year, 30 clubs at the University of Connecticut have become inactive according to Kristen Carr, UConn’s Coordinator of Student Involvement Programs.

These clubs include Millenials for Cruz, Get Together and Talk About and Play Music and the Guard Dogs sober rides program.

“Clubs typically disband due to leaders graduating, everyone graduating or a lack of interest to continue with the organization due to shifting responsibilities or interests,” Carr said.

Stephen Kolakowski Jr. is a fifth-semester double major in Chemistry and Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies and was the President of Get Together and Talk About and Play Music.

The club started in 2014 and had, at its highest point 20 members, Kolakowski said.

“It was inactivated simply because I couldn't keep up with the deadlines and required officer training with my schedule this semester,” Kolakowski said.

The Office of Student Involvement will disband organizations that fail to meet requirements concerning updating their constitutions and/or rosters, or because of conduct issues, said Carr.

“I was only assigned the role of president of the club after the previous one was asked to leave since he kept calling the members his ‘bird children,’ which was tolerable until he started squawking at us frequently,” Kolakowski said.  

If interest in a disbanded organization is revived, the organization can be reformed at any time and the student involvement office will work with them to get them back on track, said Carr.  

“I am optimistic that someone will start the club again because the club itself is very unique, since there aren't that many clubs dedicated to both playing and discussing music,” Kolakowski said.

Clubs at UConn must have a minimum of eight members but the largest have over 300 members, according to Carr.

There are 638 student organizations listed on UConntact, the University of Connecticut’s database for student organizations and events.

UConn gained 41 new clubs this year according to Carr, including the UConn Against Gun Violence Club, whose opening meeting was covered in an earlier edition of the Daily Campus.

UConn receives an average of 100 requests for new clubs each year according to Carr.

“We make every effort to work with organization leaders to help them meet their requirements,” Carr said.

Anna Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at She tweets @ZarraAnna