Man and woman in custody after altercation at Shippee sends victim to hospital

UConn police officers Douglas Lussier (left) and Tyler Hopson (right) stand at the scene of the incident where a physical altercation took place around 9:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016 in which two adults from Manchester were arrested for beating a victim unconscious in front of Shippee. (Cheyenne Haslett/The Daily Campus)

A male and a female were arrested after both beating a woman unconscious in front of Shippee Residence Halls and fleeing the scene Tuesday night.

Matthew A. Danforth, 27, and Chelsea Mack, 26, both of Manchester, CT, were arrested at 10:40 p.m. and transported to the UConn Police Department for processing without incident.

At approximately 9:47 p.m., the UConn police received several reports of a physical altercation between a male and a female. The incident included a male severely beating a female, in the area of Shippee Hall, according to police reports.

Upon arrival to the scene, police located an unconscious female victim lying on the sidewalk.

After an investigation, police identified Danforth and Mack as the aggressors in the incident. They both fled the scene in a car before police arrived, according to police reports.

With the assistance of witness reports and video footage taken during the incident, police were able to identify the vehicle that Danforth and Mack used to flee the scene. Shortly after, Coventry Police were able to locate and stop the vehicle, according to the reports.

Danforth and Mack were both arrested at 10:40 p.m. and transported to UCPD headquarters for breach of peace in the second degree and assault in the second degree, and were each given a bond of $250,000.

The female victim was taken to the hospital via ambulance for treatment of her injuries. The current state of her health is not known, according to police. At this time, it is unknown whether the victim was a UConn student and if there was any connection between her and the aggressors. 

Police at the scene initially declined comment and would not take questions because the situation is an ongoing investigation. Public information was released Wednesday.

Kevin Okifo, a first-semester biology major, who was an onlooker of the aftermath and not in any way connected to the incident, said he went outside after seeing the lights from the police cars and ambulance from the lounge in Buckley Hall.  

“A couple police cars were parked outside of Shippee and they were setting up police tape right after a girl left in an ambulance,” Okifo said.

Okifo said he also saw police interviewing three individuals at the scene of the crime, all of whom left in their cars after being questioned.

CORRECTION: The Daily Campus previously posted to social media that the incident was a vehicle accident. This is incorrect. It was confirmed to be a physical altercation.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at She tweets @ZarraAnna.

Molly Stadnicki is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at