Men’s Hockey: Huskies hit the road for first road games of 2016-17 season

Sophomore defenseman Miles Gendron (#10) evades an Alabama-Huntsville defender as goaltender Rob Nichols (#31) looks on during the Huskies' second game of the weekend on Saturday Oct. 8, 2016 at the XL Center. The Huskies swept the weekend series outscoring the Chargers 10-0. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

After an undefeated opening weekend, the UConn men’s hockey team (2-0) will hit the road for the first time this season traveling to New York to take on Colgate and RIT.

The Huskies haven’t played Colgate since the 2007-08 season when they split a weekend series with the Raiders. This season, Colgate is off to a 0-1-1 start, after a 2-2 tie with Army and a 6-1 loss to #3 Boston University.

The Huskies will travel to RIT on Saturday to take on their former conference foe in the second game of the weekend. The Tigers split a season opening weekend series with the Robert Morris Colonials, winning the first game 6-3, but dropping the second game 6-5. In the last season of Atlantic Hockey play, the Huskies swept RIT in a weekend series.

UConn dominated Alabama-Huntsville in their opening series, outscoring the Chargers 10-0 in two games. Senior goaltender Rob Nichols saved all 44 shots he faced in the series, earning him his third career Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week award.

Junior forward Spencer Naas knows that following up last week’s effort with another strong performance could do wonders for this team.

“Last year we thought we struggled a little bit with consistency,” Naas said. “It’s definitely a point of emphasis to play consistently every night. Like Coach said, if we can be consistent in practice, that’s usually a good sign.”

UConn’s 2-0 starts is their first season starting out 2-0 since their 1998-99 season, when the Huskies started out 4-0-1. The 10 goals scored last weekend were the most since a home and home weekend with Bentley in 2012-13 when the Huskies scored 13 goals.

We’re really stressing getting the puck out of our zone quick,” junior defenseman David Drake said. “Don’t mess around with it too much, just a couple quick passes and out. The more time we have the puck, the less time they have to score.”

The Huskies will look to keep their undefeated season going Friday night at Colgate, 7 p.m. in Hamilton, NY.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets @conn_donahue.