Women's Soccer: Huskies look to finish strong against UCF

The women's soccer team defeats Memphis 4-1 on Sunday, October 2, 2016. The Huskies, led by redshirt senior Stephanie Ribeiro, are currently on a seven-game unbeaten run. Ribeiro is the nation's leading scorer in game winning goals with seven and is amongst the top scorers in the country with 12.(Jason Jiang/ The Daily Campus)

The No. 21 UConn women’s soccer team is looking to remain undefeated in the American Athletic Conference play Thursday when they take on Central Florida.

The Huskies are coming off of a road trip in Texas last weekend that saw them battle SMU ending in a scoreless overtime draw, nudging a 1-0 victory over Houston.

After the matches, both Toriana Patterson and Emily Armstrong received plaudits for their stanch defensive work. Patterson was named the American’s Defensive Player of the Week, while, Armstrong was named to the weekly conference honor roll after holding both teams scoreless.

Head coach Len Tsantiris will wants to get postseason play started as soon as possible as his team is red hot. The Huskies, led by redshirt senior Stephanie Ribeiro, are currently on a seven-game unbeaten run. Ribeiro is the nation's leading scorer in game winning goals with seven and is amongst the top scorers in the country with 12. Ribeiro’s partnership with Rachel Hill has been vital to the Huskies’ success this season.

Fresh off of a tie against South Florida, the Knights are 6-5-1 overall and 1-1-1 in the American this season. Central Florida has struggled with consistency this year, after beating Houston 4-0, UCF lost to SMU 3-1.

One player Tsantiris’ team will have to look out for is Carol Rodrigues. The Brazilian forward has played a major role for the Knights offense this season notching nine goals and two assists. Rodrigues’ partner in attack Morgan Ferrara has also had a solid season. The Florida native has tallied five goals and one assist this season.

This weekend’s matches will be the last two regular season games the Huskies play at home this season. The Huskies have been almost invincible in Storrs going 8-1.

It has not yet been announced where this year's American Athletic Conference Women’s Soccer Championship will be held as last year the tournament was hosted by SMU.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.