Don’t Be A Halloweenie: Do’s and don’ts for this year’s festivities

Need to make your costume better than everyone else's? Go to a party store, get the special effects makeup that makes it look like you just pulled an axe out of your face, and play the part. (Senior Airman Grace Lee/Wikimedia Creative Commons)

Halloween in college can be one of the liveliest weekends of the year (if the cops don’t shut it down right away). A stark contrast from what childhood festivities entailed, college Halloween brings new meaning to “trick or treat.” In an ever-increasing politically correct world, it’s hard to know what’s proper. Here are some do’s and don’ts to help you keep things rad without being rude.

It’s 2016, and it’s officially not cool to dress up as someone of another race. Whether you find it offensive or not, someone is probably going to, and the biggest buzz-kill of any party is someone starting a problem. Plus, how unoriginal do you have to be to dress up as something so overused? It can be fun to be playfully offensive, but in today’s climate, race isn’t especially lighthearted. There are a million different things you can be this year, but racially insensitive shouldn’t be one of them.

Don’t let the weather turn you into a popsicle. Being a frozen caveman could be a cool costume idea, but an actual frozen college student with hypothermia is no fun for anyone. Ask yourself: is that sexy nurse outfit really worth you actually needing medical attention? It’s possible to stay safe while staying cool.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face, or until they have a few drinks and lose that crucial piece of their costume they worked on for days. It’s always cool to go all out on a costume, but remember your environment. You’ll be with tons of people who probably don’t care about your guise as much as you, so plan accordingly.

What you should be is creative. Nothing catches the eye like a costume no one has seen before. While it’s rather difficult to be original at a school of thousands of people, we’re a resourceful bunch here at UConn, and we shouldn’t sell ourselves short. Throw away your cat ears, because they’re not cutting it. A great rule of thumb, when trying to spruce up a get-up, is to kill it. A risqué kitty is about the farthest from original, but a dead cat could be a hit if done right. Want to be a lifeguard? Nothing says “I save lives” like a severed appendage.

Go big or go home. If you’re going to do it, do it right. Don’t call yourself a zombie if all you have is some tattered clothes and a limp. Go to a party store, get the special effects makeup that makes it look like you just pulled an axe out of your face, and play the part. Even the simplest of costumes can be spectacular if some effort is put in.

Above all, regardless of what you wear this Halloween weekend, be cool. No one likes an aggressive partygoer. Keep the kindness going, and don’t mess with other people’s costumes, or that black eye you painted on your face could come to life.

Kevin Bostiga is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at