A steam pipe leak on in the Student Union Mall at around 9:45 a.m. Friday morning caused the building to be evacuated. The leak was minor, according to University of Connecticut spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.
The heat from the steam triggered an automatic fire alarm, student and dining services employees to be evacuated to the neighboring building Laurel Hall.
“The UConn Fire Department responded and quickly determined there were no dangers, and the building was reopened,” she said. “The evacuation was only a few minutes in duration, and didn’t interfere with regular business to any great degree.”
According to the UConn Fire Department, the leak originated in a mechanical room in the basement of the Union. They responded at 9:58 a.m. once the automatic alarm was triggered. After determining that there was no danger, UConn Facilities Operations and Building Services was contacted to take over the situation.
The Union was operating as usual by 11:00 a.m. Currently, the area where the steam escaped at the Student Union Mall has been blocked off.