UConn Foundation adds three new board members

On October 7, 2016 the University of Connecticut Foundation voted to add three new members to its Board of Directors. The Foundation is an independent organization that works to raise money for the university through the solicitation and investment of donations. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Foundation added three new members to its Board of Directors last week.

The new members, Mark A. Beaudoin, Michael Melio and Lincoln Millstein were named on Oct. 7. All three are UConn graduates.

Beaudoin graduated from the UConn School of Business in 1982. He is a part of Ziff Capital Partners, according to an article published by the UConn Foundation on its website.

Melio earned an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from UConn in 2015. He is president and chief executive officer of Western Piedmont Metal Incorporated and vice president of operations at United American Steel Company, according to the foundation.

Millstein graduated from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in 1977 and is the senior vice president of Hearst Corporation, according to the foundation.

“Lincoln, Michael and Mark are excellent additions to the Board of Directors, both in terms of their impressive qualifications and their passion for supporting UConn,” president and chief executive officer of UConn Foundation, Josh Newton, said. “Their dedication to elevating the University will be valuable to the board moving forward.”

Beaudoin, Melio and Millstein hail from Westport, North Carolina and Riverside, respectively.

Suzanne Morrissey, the director of communications and media relations for the foundation said that the board members are great at connecting students to their career fields.

“We’re so fortunate that many of our foundation board of director members are not only dedicated to UConn and the UConn mission, they are also dedicated and passionate in their own fields,” Morrissey said.

Morrissey said the board members serve on different committees and work groups. Beaudoin will serve on the finance committee and the athletics work group. Melio will serve on the alumni committee, the nominating and board governance committee and the athletics work group. Millstein will serve on the alumni committee, the human resources committee and the university work group.

The three new members were first approved by the nominating and board governance committee and then by the entire board of directors.

In addition to the three alumni board members, one ex-officio faculty representative was added this semester, John Volin from the Natural Resources and Environment department, Newton said.

“We are tremendously grateful for all our new members,” Newton said. “Many of our members already support students or student athletes at UConn, but it’s a tremendous act of dedication to take up the volunteer position. They provide great oversight to the foundation.”

Board members can serve up to five consecutive two year terms, Morrissey said.

One member left the Board of Directors after giving a decade of work – Coleman Levy. The board is not restricted to remain the same size.

Levy praised the board and the rewarding experience he gained.

“We are fortunate that we have people who are really dedicated to the University, and the Foundation is elevating itself to a level that will be absolutely beneficial to the University, to the students, and to the community,” Levy said. “Our University can only ascend to the stars now and I’m just very thankful that I’ve been able to be on this wonderful board.”

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.