Volleyball: Busy weekend ahead for the Huskies

UConn juniors Danielle Cabell (#2) and Tosin Adeniyi (#13) jump to block an attempt from Tulane's Hannah Shaw (#16) in a game at Gampel Pavilion on Sunday Sep. 25, 2016. The Huskies won 3-1. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team will take on the University of Central Florida this afternoon before facing the University of South Florida on Sunday.

UConn (13-4) is currently just above UCF in the American Athletic Conference, both tied at a 4-2 conference record. The Huskies look to win both games this weekend as they attempt to climb up into the top three of the conference, currently trailing behind SMU, Temple and Cincinnati.

UCF is currently ranked second behind UConn in assists and kills, averaging 13.26 assists per set and 14.4 kills per set. Farah Rajaee leads the Knights assists with 381 on the season while a striking tandem of Jale Hervey, Kia Bright, Taylor Gallart and Alli Sabol provide the kills for the team. Senior Hervey leads the team with 290 kills in the season, averaging 4.20 kills per set. UCF also is second in the American behind East Carolina in blocks, recording 151 on the season with Jeanne Westney leading the Knights with 82.

For the game against USF, UConn looks ready to take advantage of the lesser-ranked team. The team is in the top four of the conference in six statistics: hitting-percentage, assists, kills, service aces, digs and opponent hitting-percentage. Obviously opponent hitting-percentage is not a statistic you want to be ahead in, and USF falls behind UConn in hitting-percentage, assists and kills, in which the Huskies lead. Junior Alex Mendoza is currently leading the entire conference in assists with 684, however, Dakota Hamption ranks only seventh in the conference in kills with 218, averaging 3.46 kills per set.

Two UConn players lead the American in hitting-percentage, with Haley Cmajdalka and Tosin Adeniyi hitting .391 and .362 percentage, respectively. The game should come down to freshman Kayla Williams continuing her monster year and junior Kenya Cason’s high performance for the Huskies.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.