Women's Hockey: Huskies look ahead to Renssalaer

UConn junior forward Theresa Knighton brings the puck in the zone in the home opener against Quinnipiac University on Friday Oct. 7, 2016, at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, CT. The Huskies dropped the game 3-0. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

After losing their home opener to Quinnipiac 3-0, the UConn Huskies women’s hockey team is looking forward to a doubleheader against Renssalaer that begins on Friday and continues into Saturday.

Currently, the Renssalaer Engineers are 1-4-1 on the season under head coach John Burke. Even though they are a relatively young team there are still some players to watch for in this game. Senior forward Katie Rooney had 11 goals and six assists last season, including three game winning goals. She was named the ECACH player of the month on Feb. 3 and was the ECACH player of the week on Jan.26 This season her numbers have not been as impressive as she has one assist and no goals.

Another player to keep an eye on is sophomore goaltender Louisa Selander, who had 1,058 saves and a .939 save percentage last season. Selander was a finalist for ECACH goaltender of the year and won ECACH goaltender of the week two times. This season, Selander has played in every game and has had 130 saves.

These two teams have not met since 2014 when UConn lost 4-1 and then tied RPI 2-2.

Looking ahead to the double-header game, there are some areas where the Huskies could improve from their last game.

“We had breakaways in the first [period]…and if we get a couple of those maybe it’s a different game.” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said after the loss to Quinnipiac. “[There is a] new standard of play that the refs are calling which can be a bit frustrating at times.”

These two teams are very evenly matched according to USCHO. UConn is ranked No. 16 amongst Divison I schools and Renssalaer is ranked No. 19.

The first game begins on Friday at 6 p.m. at Houston Field House in Troy, New York, with the second game starting at 3 p.m. on Saturday at the same location.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.