Huskies suffer two tough losses to UCF and USF this weekend

Women's volleyball played UCF on Friday, Oct. 14 and USF on Sunday, Oct. 16 at Gampel Pavilion.  Our huskies lost to both teams.  (Junbo Huang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team was swept by UCF on Friday afternoon and lost to USF on Sunday at Gampel Pavilion. This is the Huskies’ third American Athletic Conference loss this season.

In the first set, it looked like it was going to be all UCF as they didn’t let the Huskies have a lead. Even though junior Kenya Cason had a set-high six kills, it wasn’t enough to offset the 10 attack errors UConn committed in the game.

The second set was a different story than the first. In that set, the Huskies were able to overcome deficits of three and four points to keep the game close. At one point, they were able to reduce the gap to 15-14. However, UCF was able to take control of the set again thanks to a pair of kills by freshman Alli Sabol. In the end, the Knights took the set 25-19.

The third set showed that the Huskies certainly have grit and never give up even in the face of defeat. They went back and forth, trading leads with the Knights. At one point, the Huskies were able to tie the score at 19 and had a chance to make a comeback. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late; UCF ended the match after going on a 4-0 run.

The Huskies did not have the same offensive firepower that they have shown throughout the season. UCF had a 47-38 advantage in kills and was able to prevent the Huskies from having a player with double digit kills. Juniors Danielle Cabel and Kenya Cason both had a team-high nine kills, while senior Camille Evans had eight. The Knights were also able to prevent UConn from having a player with over 20 assists. Sophomore Emma Turner had a team-high 19 assists.

UCF put on a clinic offensively with three players recording double digit kills. Senior Jale Hervey and Alli Sabol both had a match-high 12 kills. Hervey and redshirt junior Kia Bright both had a double-double in the win.

Against USF, UConn was able to come back from a 2-0 set deficit to force a fifth set. However the Bulls were able to hold on and win the set as well as the match 15-13. Redshirt freshman Kayla Williams recorded a double-double, a team high 13 kills and 13 digs. Cabel had 12 kills and Jade Strawberry had 11 kills as well as a team high 17 digs.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at