Men’s hockey: First road trip results in pair of ties

Sophomore defenseman Miles Gendron (10) fights Alabama-Huntsville forward Tyler Poulsen for a puck during the Huskies 4-0 shutout against the Colts on Saturday, Oct.8, 2016 during the team's season home opener at the XL Center in Hartford. The Huskies record moved to 2-0-2 following two road games this past week. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s hockey team had their first road trip of the season this weekend, playing a pair of nonconference opponents, Colgate and RIT. The Huskies came away with two ties.

On Friday night at Colgate, the Huskies tied 4-4, despite outshooting Colgate 45-27. UConn struggled on the power play, going 0-for-8 on the night while also allowing a shorthanded goal.

Alternate captain David Drake led the Huskies offensively, scoring a goal and making an assist. On the defensive end, senior goalie Rob Nichols made 23 saves including 11 in the third period.

Graduate transfer Brian Morgan scored his first goal in a Husky uniform to tie the game at three early in the third period. With Morgan’s experience playing for Hockey East foe Maine, he will be an important piece to UConn’s season.

“I’m coming in expecting to help the team in every way that I can, to win, and add a level of leadership,” Morgan said at media day before the season began. “I came in in the summer for five weeks, and I think that helped me a lot getting to know a lot of the guys instead of just coming in cold.”

The Huskies had a productive third period in the game, fighting back from a 3-2 deficit at the second intermission. Sophomore Tage Thompson scored his fourth goal of the season to put the Huskies ahead eight minutes into the period. The Raiders would even the score just over halfway into the period, and it would remain 4-4 until the end of regulation.

UConn controlled play for most of the overtime period, firing five shots while not allowing a single Colgate shot in the extra session. They couldn’t find a game winner though, as Colgate goalie Colton Point made all five saves, giving him 41 saves in his first collegiate game.

The Huskies then traveled to Rochester for a game against RIT in front of a sellout crowd of over 10,000 fans.

UConn freshman goalie Adam Huska made the start with Nichols getting the night off. In his first regular season collegiate action Huska made 36 saves to keep the Huskies in the game. Huska was helped by a stellar defense in front of him, as UConn blocked 25 shots in the game including 15 in the second period.

Neither team could score in the first two periods, and the third period began in a scoreless tie. UConn junior Kasperi Ojantakanen put the Huskies on top five minutes into the period with a deflection of a shot from Derek Pratt.

The Tigers would respond with a goal of their own six minutes later on a one-timer that beat Huska. The score would remain 1-1 for the rest of the third period and through overtime.

RIT outshot UConn 37-22 on the night, including a 5-1 advantage in the overtime period. Neither team could convert on the power palyplay, as the Huskies finished 0-for-4 and the Tigers went 0-for-7.

UConn takes a 2-0-2 record into a tough matchup against in-state rival and No. 3 ranked Quinnipiac on Wednesday night.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at