Our five women's soccer seniors

Senior's lined up before their Senior Day on Sunday, Oct. 16 against USF. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus) 

It was senior Senior Day for the UConn women’s soccer team as they knocked off conference foe South Florida 3-1. That means it was the last regular season game, at least for now, at Morrone Stadium for goalkeeper Emily Armstrong, midfielder Maddie Damm, defender Toriana Patterson and forwards Rachel Hill and Stephanie Ribeiro. Ribeiro (two goals) and Hill (one goal)Hill and Ribeiro, scoring one and two goals respectively, would leave their mark in a victory.

The Huskies have had a successful season to this point, with major contributions from all five seniors.

Armstrong, who started her career at Boston College, has been starting since 2013 for the Huskies. This season she’s been in net for every minute of action while posting a .80 goals allowed average and a .833 save percentage with seven shutouts. She has been named American Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week and named to the weekly conference honor roll multiple times this year.

Damm, a transfer from Syracuse, has been a consistent player in the midfield for the Huskies. She is third on the team in points behind Hill and Ribeiro and has started in 14 of the team’s 16 games.

Patterson, a redshirt senior who played two years for the Georgia Bulldogs before coming to UConn, has been able to bring her play up to a new level recently. She was named to the weekly All-Conference team as Defensive player of the Week in the week prior to this. In UConn’s recent 3-0 victory over UCF, she also notched her first goal of the year which broke open what was a 0-0 stalemate at the time. She has started all 16 games this season and, excluding Armstrong, has logged the most minutes of any player.

Hill, a reigning NSCAA First Team All-American, has long been a star for UConn. While she has taken somewhat of a backseat to fellow forward Ribeiro this season, their combined offensive output is what has carried UConn to their level of success this year. She has started all 16 games while posting an impressive stat line of 12 goals and five assists for 29 points and is currently second on the program’s all-time scoring list with 57 goals and is seven away from number onethe No. 1 spot . She’s put together several multi-goal games this season and is near the top of all the conference’s scoring categories. She has also been named to the weekly conference honor roll three times this fall. It will be a massive void for the Huskies to fill her spot next season.

“You never take it for granted and you’re always just so grateful for everything that you have. Each day whether it’s practice or game whenever you go out, representing it is just something else.” Hill said of her time at UConn.

Last, but not least, redshirt senior Stephanie Ribeiro has had herself a monster of a year. Posting a spectacular line of 15 goals and 11 assists for 41 points says a lot. She leads the American conference or is second in every single offensive metric. She also leads the country in game- winning goals and is now tied for the top overall scorer nationwide. She has won conference Offensive Player of the Week twice and been named to the weekly honor roll two other times. Despite the accolades, her importance to the Huskies is immeasurable this season. Combined with Hill, they account for 27 out of UConn’s 33 goals on the season. Her emergence as a potential All-American candidate has kept UConn among the nation’s top 25 teams all season.

“Quality players. You have five quality players. They’re supposed to be, they’re seniors, but they’re very talented, these guys, very talented and they play with a lot of confidence. They do what they have to to win the games,” head Head Coach Len Tsantiris said.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.