Ex-UConn employee arrested for larceny

A former University of Connecticut employee was arrested and charged with larceny after stealing more than $20,000 from the Speech and Hearing Clinic.

Deborah Frye-Mitchell,42, of Vernon, CT, was arrested on Oct. 11 when UConn police served a warrant that stemmed from an April 2016 complaint from UConn’s Speech and Hearing Clinic, according to the arrest log.

Frye-Mitchell was the Patient Services Coordinator during her employment at the clinic, and one of her job responsibilities was to make the cash deposits for client payments, according to the arrest log. These responsibilities were hers from January 2012 to July 2015.

“Between January of 2012 and July of 2012, Frye Mitchell made cash deposits in the amount of $1,272.00.  During this time period, the Speech and Hearing Clinic received cash payments between $5,118.09 and $14,622.89,” according to the arrest log. “After July of 2012, there was no record of a cash deposit being made into any of the Speech and Hearing accounts by Deborah Frye-Mitchell.”

When the complaints against Frye-Mitichell were made she left UConn, according to the arrest log.

UConn’s Office of Audit, Compliance and Ethics performed an audit, and it showed that the Speech and Hearing Clinic had received between $24, 801.62 and $35,332.91 in cash payments during January 2012 and July 2015 that were never deposited, according to the arrest log.

Between January 2012 and July 2012, Frye-Mitchell made deposits of $1,272 when the clinic received client payments that totaled between $5,118.09 and $14,622.89, according to the arrest log. After July 2012 there were no records of any deposits being made.

“To make a cash deposit into the Speech and Hearing Clinic’s account with the Bursar’s Office, an “eDoc” in KFS [Kuali Financial Software, which is the accounting software used by UConn] titled cash receipt was required,” according to the arrest warrant. “The cash receipt listed the total amount of the deposit and the exact number of each denomination. The cash would be removed from the register by Deborah Frye-Mitchell and placed in an envelope.”

It was Frye-Mitchell’s responsibility to bring the money to the Bursar’s and to create the eDoc, according to the warrant. The idea to create an “eDoc” was Frye-Mitchell’s according to the warrant.

The lack of payments and inconsistencies were discovered when the responsibility of making the deposits was given to another clinic employee in July of 2015 and in March 2016 the employee noticed that there was no record of in the Speech and Hearing account of any deposits, according to the arrest log.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando.