Men’s Soccer: Huskies host Boston College looking to start another win streak

UConn senior midfielder Kwame Awuah (#7) races for the ball with USF freshman defender Jonathan Rosales (#22). The Huskies lost to the Bulls 1-0 in a game Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016, at Joseph J. Marrone Stadium. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

Coming off of a tough home loss to the University of South Florida Bulls that snapped a seven-game win streak, the University of Connecticut Huskies men’s soccer team will take on the Boston College Eagles Tuesday night in a rivalry match that has taken place numerous times over the years.

This game will be the last mid-week matchup of the year for the Huskies, as all their remaining games are Saturday night conference games. The all-time series between UConn and BC, dating back to 1974, stands at 31-9-3 in the Huskies’ favor. However, the Eagles dominated UConn in last year’s match in Boston with a final score of 3-1, and they will surely be one of the Huskies’ biggest tests of the season.

UConn’s record coming into this matchup is an impressive 10-4 (3-1, the American). Currently, the team ranks first in the American Athletic Conference and eighth in the nation with only six goals allowed on the year, good for a 0.57 goals against average. Prior to the game against USF, the Huskies were on a seven-game win streak and a five-game shutout streak, which really drives home how vital the defense has been this season.

Despite the loss to USF Saturday night, UConn’s tri-captain Kwame Awuah is looking forward to the BC game and expects that the team will take the loss in stride and use the experience it gained for the remainder of the season.

“Every game we take one by one, we have got to prepare in practice in Monday to be ready for BC Tuesday,” Awuah said. “It’s a huge game, a northeast rivalry. We’ve played them multiple times and this is a huge chance for us to get back to where we want to be. We have to take what we learned in the USF game and use it in the coming games moving forward.”

The Eagles enter Tuesday night’s game with a 6-4-2 record on the year (2-2-2, ACC), having most recently played to a draw against Clemson on Friday. Their play this season and as of late earned BC as many as 18 votes in the latest coaches’ poll, while their strength of schedule puts them among the highest ranked schools in the nation, with regards to RPI.

BC’s attack is fueled by Maximilian Schulze-Geisthovel, Simon Enstrom, and Zeiko Lewis. Lewis, in particular, was a thorn in the Huskies’ side in last year’s matchup as he scored two goals to put UConn away. If the Huskies can contain Lewis and co., then they should get right back on the winning track.

This is definitely the biggest game remaining on the schedule for the Huskies, and is a must-win if the team wants to look good and get into the NCAA tournament. UConn’s head coach Ray Reid suggested that BC’s ranking alone should be enough to motivate the Huskies to perform up to the standard they set for themselves prior to the USF game and get the victory.

“Boston College is No. 10 in the RPI,” Reid said. “If we’re not ready to play Tuesday night, I got the wrong guys at Connecticut. I’ll be honest with you, I got the wrong guys at Connecticut if they’re not ready Tuesday night.”

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at