UConn Police arrest man connected with taking videos in public restrooms

A 30-year-old man, Yiyan Wang, of Hartford, CT was arrested on Oct. 12 and charged with voyeurism in connection with videotaping individuals in public restrooms. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Last week, UConn Police arrested a man in connection with videotaping individuals in public restrooms.

Yiyan Wang, 30, of Hartford, CT was arrested on Oct. 12 and charged with voyeurism.

Wang was involved in several incidents of taking photos and video in a unisex restroom at the Thomas J. Meskill Law Library at UConn Law that took place in 2013 and 2016, according to the arrest warrant.

When an individual approached Wang about his taking photos and videos in the restroom on May 13, 2016 Wang denied it, according to the warrant. He then told the individual that he was using his phone as a mirror and not as a camera.

“Wang added that he’s never seen a unisex bathroom before and that sometimes he’s a bit curious as to who else [is] in there,” according to the warrant. “Wang said he tried to use his phone as a mirror and saw a woman there.”

He stated that he left his phone in his vehicle, according to the warrant. Wang also agreed to let the individual see his cell phone to find any videos from the May 13 incident.

According to the warrant, when he showed an individual and the officer his phone photos from the 13th, the date contained no files.

“After conversing some more, Wang stated that he has never seen females using a bathroom in his life and was curious,” according to the warrant. “This affiant [individual] showed Wang a picture taken by a victim from the middle stall showing the viewing angle towards the handicap stall. When asked, Wang stated that he saw a female with her pants down in that stall. Wang said, he was very nervous and she said she was going to call the police so she left.”

Wang admitted that he had previously taken video footage of people in the restrooms, on May 13th he was just curious and did not take any video or photos, according to the warrant.

Wang recently graduated from UConn and visited the Thomas Meskill Law Library at UConn Law several times a week, according to the arrest warrant.

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu.