UConn students prepare for final debate of presidential election

A pedestrian walks past the site for the third presidential debate between Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton at UNLV in Las Vegas, Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016. (Julio Cortez/AP)

Oct. 19th is the third and final debate in the presidential election. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will be meeting at the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) at 9 p.m.

The debate will be moderated by Chris Wallace of Fox News Sunday and will be similar in style to the first presidential debate with questions directed from the moderator not audience members. The discussion topics for the debate will include: “immigration, entitlements and debt, the Supreme Court, the economy, foreign policy and each candidate's fitness to serve as president,” according to Politico.

“I am watching the debate,” fifth-semester political science and human rights double major Nick Fuller said. “I am not voting for Trump and Clinton is a flawed candidate but I like to see how she handles herself.”

Katharine Lange, a third-semester political science and human rights double major, cited her civic duty as a reason for why she is tuning in.

“I will be watching the debate because I want to be an informed citizen and track the progress of both candidates, both the ones I like and the ones that I don’t,” Lange said.

When asked about the two prior debates, there was an expressed discontent for the performance of the two candidates.

“I expected more out of the Town Hall format,” Lange said. “I thought that the people in the audience were not able to ask a lot of questions and those who did were not representative of the population as a whole. There should have been more consistent audience participation for [the Town Hall format] to be more effective.”

Jillian Chambers, a sixth-semester political science and human rights double major reiterated Lange’s sentiments.

“I thought the second debate was extremely depressing,” Chambers said. “The things Trump has been saying are very anti-democratic. When he said we need to lock Hillary up on the debate stage, it was reminiscent of autocratic countries.”

I will be watching the debate because I want to be an informed citizen
— Katharine Lange

Students said they would like to see more policy discussed in this debate.  

“I think viewers get tired of watching them not answer questions and it gets very frustrating,” Chambers said. “I would like to see actual policy discussion instead of character attacks. I want to see what they are going to do as president.”

Lange said that she would like to see the debate address the lewd 2005 “Access Hollywood” tapes that have been present in the news.

“I hope to see some more hard allegations against the sexual assault comments,” Lange said.

Fuller believes that this will be the end for Trump in the polls.

“I think [Trump] is done because of the tape,” Fuller said. “That is what all of the polls have been saying. [Clinton] was already leading and now she is really leading.”

Clinton is at 49.8 percent of the popular vote, Trump with 42.8 percent of the popular vote and Gary Johnson with 5.8 percent of the popular vote, according to FiveThirtyEight. Johnson does not meet the 15 percent threshold to participate in the debate.

Elizabeth Charash is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at elizabeth.charash@uconn.edu