USG debates whether to implement a bill enforcing earlier legislation deadline

USG President Daniel Byrd leads the discussion of enforcing the bill, regarding the potential for an earlier legislation deadline for senators, at the meeting on Wednesday, October 19, 2016. (Junbo Huang/The Daily Campus)

At Wednesday night’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate meeting, most of the senators debated whether or not a new resolution concerning senate rules should pass.

The bill would make it so that senators would have to submit any legislation by the Friday night before senate meetings instead of the current Monday deadline.

One senator proposed an amendment to the bill that would push back the Friday deadline to Saturday. This was then moved to a vote. Many senators voted for and against this, with several abstentions, which led parliamentarian Stephanie Goebel to suspend the rules and allow for further discussion, debating the implications of the amendment.

Goebel had also directed many questions to the executive committee, because the bill and amendment would directly impact the amount of time they have to review legislation before USG senate meetings.

The bill in question was talked about during last week’s caucus; however, the executive committee was never mentioned in those talks and its mention during the Senate meeting confused and frustrated some members.

The vote on the amendment was eventually tabled for the next USG senate meeting after more than a half hour of debate and discussion.

During the meeting, USG President Dan Byrd also announced his nominees for several USG committees as well as four university senate positions.

The nominations for the four open spots on the university senate were questioned by one senator who asked for a response from the nominees as to why they are fit to serve. USG Speaker George Wang was one of the nominees but was not present, so Byrd defended his nomination.

“As speaker of the senate and as a three-year member of USG, I think he qualifies,” Byrd said. “He has sat on university senate before, I believe, and on numerous university senate committees. So he has a great breadth of experience.”

Senate adjourned with a moment of silence for student Jeffny Pally, who was hit by a UConn Fire Department vehicle and died early Sunday morning, led by Erika Elechicon.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando.