Vehicle that killed student Jeffny Pally was responding to a false alarm

Jeffny Pally, 19 of West Hartford, was struck and killed by a UConn Fire Department Chevrolet Tahoe outside the department's back garage, not directly situated on North Eagleville Road. (Owen Boneventra/The Daily Campus)

The call that prompted a UConn Fire Department SUV to leave the station early Sunday morning and resulted in the death of sophomore Jeffny Pally was a false alarm, according to UConn spokesperson Stephanie Rietz.

Pally, 19, was from West Hartford and pursuing a career in nursing. She was a member of Delta Gamma and a rising member of UConn Community Outreach, as well as an RA in Northwest Residence Halls. Hundreds gathered for a vigil for Pally on Tuesday.

The fire station was responding to a call at 100 North Eagleville Road, about 0.1 miles from the fire department. When the responders arrived at the building they determined there was no fire and reset the alarms, Reitz said.

They then went back to the station. When they returned to Bay 7, the garage the SUV exited, they found Pally. Bay 7 is situated behind the station, not directly roadside on North Eagleville.

The fire department could not say how long the responders were gone because of the pending investigation, said fire department Captain Stan Landry.

The fire station was responding to a call at 100 North Eagleville Road, about 0.1 miles from the fire department. (Screenshot/Google Maps)

False alarms are a common occurrence, Landry said. 

Reitz described the alarms as unfounded, but not a malfunction. "UConn is reviewing what activated the alarms, which are triggered both by fire and by heat," Reitz said.

Cheyenne Haslett is the digital editor of The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at cheyenne.haslett@uconn.edu. She tweets at@cheyhaslett.