Veterans Office hopes to donate 3,000+ care package items for veterans

Students work on computers in the Veterans Oasis in the Student Union, one of many resources made available by the UConn Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs. The office is hosting it's fourth annual shelter drive between Nov. 14 and Dec. 2. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs is hoping to beat last year’s record of 3,000 items to donate to shelters in a competitive care package drive.

The fourth annual drive will accept donations from Nov. 14 to Dec. 2. The donations will be distributed evenly between Homes for the Brave in Bridgeport, Connecticut and South Park Inn in Hartford, Connecticut.

These shelters provide housing, training, job placement and other necessary services to the homeless and those in need. Both shelters focus on helping veterans.

Nikki Cole, the executive assistant of the Veterans Affairs and Military Program, said donating and the care package drive is all about community and sharing good will for her.

“It’s good to have the community involved to help those who have less than us, including food, supplies, or even homes,” Cole said. “These shelters focus on helping veterans receive the care and supplies they need.”

For those wishing to be competitive, donors can form teams and compete against each other. The winning team will be invited to an ice cream sundae bar. Last year the winners were from Gully Hall. Samuel Surowitz, an eighth-semester history student and Veterans Program Coordinator, said donors do not need to be competitive or group into teams if they do not want to.

Recommended donation items include general hygiene items, household supplies, new clothing and food. These may include: shampoo, soap, razors, shaving cream, toothpaste, toothbrushes, feminine hygiene products, blankets, sheets, towels, Ziploc bags, batteries, coats/jackets, gloves, pants, socks, sweatshirts, canned foods, coffee, cereal and peanut butter. Clothing sized medium to three extra-large is preferred.

Items can be dropped off in Arjona 343. Contact Surowitz at (860) 486-5078  for more information.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at