Individuals arrested for beating female outside Shippee appear in court

UConn police department officer Douglas Lussier stands watch at the scene of an incident outside of Shippee residential hall around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016.  (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Following an altercation outside of Shippee Hall last Tuesday, Oct. 11, aggressors Matthew Danforth and Chelsea Mack have appeared in court for sentencing, according to University of Connecticut Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

Danforth and Mack began beating a female victim in a car before the altercation moved into the street where the victim was discovered unconscious by UConn police, Reitz said.

It was determined that the people involved knew one another prior to the incident and the victim had called Danforth for a ride from a local business before the altercation occurred. Reitz confirmed that none of the people involved in the incident were UConn students.

Danforth and Mack were apprehended by UConn police later that night and appeared in Rockville Superior Court in Vernon, Connecticut the next morning. The pair was charged with second-degree assault and breach of peace, according to the police report.

The victim was treated and released from Windham Hospital shortly after the incident. The injuries she incurred were not serious, Reitz said.

The UConn Police Department had no further comments and would not state the identity of the female victim.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.