Fantasy Football: Who to start and sit for week 7

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) runs past New England Patriots defensive lineman Woodrow Hamilton (74) for a touchdown during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016, in Foxborough, Mass. (Elise Amendola/AP)

In the Fantasy Football world, things seemed somewhat normal last week. The top five scorers in standard ESPN leagues were guys you would expect to be there. Cam Newton, Le’Veon Bell, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers were the top scorers. However, if you know anything about sports, you know that it’s never that easy. After a pretty normal Week 6 in the fantasy world, expect Week 7 to be a little bit different.

Start QB: Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

Andy Dalton has been one of the most reliable options at quarterback all year. He may not be of superstar caliber like the guys that I mentioned above, but he’s a lock to start at quarterback for your fantasy team this week. Andy Dalton has produced double digit fantasy points every week this season and his only week below 15 points came against a top-notch Super Bowl defense in Denver. This week, he plays the 0-6 Cleveland Browns. I know I should not have to say much more, but I will. Cleveland is the 27th ranked passing defense in the NFL and has given up 16 passing touchdowns in just six weeks, which is the second worst in the NFL. They are not a team that takes advantage of mistakes and Dalton is a quarterback who doesn’t make many, as he only has two interceptions on the year to go with his six passing touchdowns. I expect this to be a huge week for Dalton versus the NFL’s only winless team.

Sit QB: Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles

Carson Wentz’s first three weeks in the NFL were sensational to say the least. Five touchdowns, zero interceptions and three wins over the course of three weeks for a rookie quarterback is sensational. However, his last two weeks haven’t been the best, as the Eagles have racked up two losses, and he had a week where he only tallied seven fantasy points. This week, do not expect him to bounce back and get any better, as he faces his toughest match-up yet. Wentz will be facing the only undefeated team in the NFL and the top defense, the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings are going to be fresh coming off of a bye week and have been a nightmare to quarterbacks this season. The Vikings have only allowed four passing touchdowns and have recorded seven interceptions this season. They have 19 sacks and only allow opposing quarterbacks to complete 55.5 percent of passes against them. Elite quarterbacks have not been able to handle this defense this year, so there are no reasons pointing to a rookie quarterback being able to.

Start RB: Chris Ivory, Jacksonville Jaguars

During the offseason when Jacksonville picked up Ivory, it looked like a great signing, yet his health got in the way of his first four weeks of the season. Then last week, coming off of a bye week, he had his best game that came with his first touchdown. It was obvious last week that when healthy, Ivory gets more touches than fellow Jaguars back T.J. Yeldon. This week I expect Ivory to take yet another step towards his best form. This week, Ivory will play the Oakland Raiders, who have been stout on defense, aside from stopping the run. The Raiders have given up seven rushing touchdowns and 132 yards per game which leaves them as the 30th ranked rush defense in the NFL. Chris Ivory looked strong last week and I think that he will tally up big numbers in Week 7.

Sit RB: Matt Forte, New York Jets

Matt Forte has gotten worse every game this year. Forte totaled one point in fantasy leagues last week and over the three previous weeks his highest was six. Now, the entire New York Jets team has been horrendous, but their lack of a running game is not going to change come Week Seven. The Jets will be playing against the Baltimore Ravens, who have given up the least yards per game on the ground this season with an average total under 70 yards and have only given up two touchdowns all year. With a lack of faith at their quarterback position with Geno Smith starting his first game of the season, I expect the run game to be prevalent this week, yet if I expect that, I know Baltimore does too and so Baltimore is not going to allow Forte or any other Jets running back to get going. Sorry New York, but you’d better hope that Geno is the secret to your win, because Forte this week will not be the trick.

Start WR: Jamison Crowder, Washington Redskins

Jamison Crowder is definitely the definition of a sleeper pick this week but I am here to tell you why he is also a good pick. Crowder is coming off of one of his best weeks this year where he had 11 fantasy points to go along with a touchdown. Crowder actually has been reliable all year in the grand scheme of things. He may not put up Julio Jones or Antonio Brown numbers, but he can make plays and the last two weeks he proved it. He is coming off of two decent weeks against Philadelphia and Baltimore who are much better defensively than the team he plays this week in Detroit. Detroit has given up the most passing touchdowns this year (17) and allows 271 yards per game. Kirk Cousins is not afraid to air it out and if he can find Crowder who has looked good the last two weeks, I am sure that he will be an awesome fit for your fantasy line-up, even in the flex position.

Sit WR: Doug Baldwin, Seattle Seahawks

Doug Baldwin can really shine and he has proven that a couple of times already this year except the last two weeks he has not had an impact on the field for Seattle. In two games he has eight receptions for about 80 yards and only eight fantasy points total which is not something a No. 1 receiver should be proud of. This week, Baldwin has to play against Arizona who have been extremely hard to pass against this year. They give up less than 200 yards a game and only have given up five touchdowns to go with their nine interceptions and 19 sacks. Baldwin and the Seahawks may find a way to win with him on the field, but in your fantasy league I would suggest not starting him.

Bobby Farris is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at robert.farris@uconn.edu.