Civil Conflict in the NFL: Huskies and Knights playing pro

In this Sept. 15, 2016, file photo, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles(5) prepares to hand the ball off to running back T.J. Yeldon (24) during the second half of an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens, in Jacksonville, Fla. Bortles is one of the recent NFL drafts from UCF.  (Phelan M. Ebenhack/AP)

While UConn holds a decisive edge in the Conflict, part of what college football is all about is sending players to the NFL. Based off of alumni performances this past weekend, the Conflict might just be as good a rivalry as Michigan-Notre Dame or Alabama-Auburn.

Former UCF Knight and third overall pick Blake Bortles had a solid weekend. The Jaguars picked up their second win of the season, beating the Chicago Bears 17-16. Bortles was 20-33 for 271 yards and a touchdown. In that loss for the Bears, Bortles former college teammate, Jacoby Glenn, had one tackle from the cornerback spot. UConn has their own quarterback in the league in Detroit Lions backup Dan Orlovsky, but he has yet to have an action this season.

Orlovsky’s teammate, Lions placekicker Matt Prater, is a former Knight and was strong this weekend in the Lions 31-28 victory over the Rams. He was 4-4 on extra points and hit the game winning field goal with 1:28 remaining in the game.

Elsewhere, former Knight and first round pick, Breshad Perriman had one of his better weekends for Baltimore with three receptions for 48 yards. Fellow Knight and Ravens teammate Kamar Aiken, outdid Perriman with four receptions for 64 yards.

On the other side, former UConn safety Andrew Adams, who went undrafted this past April, was in the defensive backfield for the New York Giants, putting up four tackles and one quarterback hit. Offensive lineman and former UConn stalwart Will Beatty was also dressed for the Giants as a backup as they beat the Ravens 27-23.

A couple of Huskies and Knights also got together when the Houston Texans defeated the Indianapolis Colts 26-23. Defensively for the Texans, former UCF corner back A.J. Bouye had four tackles. On the offensive side for the Texans, UConn product and tight end Ryan Griffin had three receptions for 31 yards.

Opposite him was Colts cornerback Darius Butler, who had five tackles. UCF had an alumnus in the Colts defensive backfield as well, as safety Clayton Geathers had six tackles for the Colts.

The latest and greatest UConn player in the NFL, Dallas Cowboys defensive back Byron Jones, who was 2015 first round pick, had a marginal performance this weekend with just two tackles as the Cowboys defeated the Green Bay Packers 30-16.

Perhaps the most recognizable player between the two programs, star wide receiver and former Knight, Brandon Marshall, had three receptions for 70 yards but his New York Jets continued to struggled, getting trounced by the Arizona Cardinals 28-3.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.