MLB Postseason is not going as predicted

Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Trevor Bauer delivers to the Toronto Blue Jays during first inning of game three American League Championship Series baseball action in Toronto on Monday, Oct. 17, 2016. (Frank Gunn/Alternative Press)

Looking back on just about every playoff prediction I have made, the exact opposite has happened. Going back to the Wild Card games, I had the Mets defeating San Fransisco because I despise the even year Giants, and the Orioles knocking out the Blue Jays. Naturally, the Mets had a crushing 3-0 loss, and Toronto smoked the O’s 5-2. Divisional series: I predict Nationals, and the Dodgers pulled out a 3-2 series win. On the American side, I naturally picked the Sox. However, if you say you picked Cleveland to sweep Boston you’re lying, so I give myself a pass on this one. Rangers versus Blue Jays? I pick Texas and you know the rest. The one prediction I had right was Chicago over San Fransisco, so it wasn’t a total loss.

This postseason has served as a further reminder that really anything can happen in playoffs. Surprise sweeps, mediocre players hitting bombs and yes, even drones accidents. The last one may not be such a surprise because as Terry Francona said, “we’ve all had a drone related problem.”  Cleveland starter, Trevor Bauer was set to start Game 2 for the Indians. After nearly losing his pinkie finger while cleaning his drone blades (it’s 2016, people), Bauer was forced to sit Game 2 out and postpone his start two days for Game 3. Surprisingly enough, the extra two days of rest did not heal a nearly severed pinkie and Bauer was pulled from the game after facing four batters. The image of Bauer standing on the mound, blood dripping from his hand and onto the ball, his jersey and the rubber made me somewhat nostalgic, for the 2004 ALCS of course. The famous Curt Schilling bloody sock game, which forced a Game 7 for Boston. Speaking of the Red Sox, I guarantee nobody had Coco Crisp hitting two homeruns (so far) in the postseason this year. Prior to this postseason, Crisp had hit one homerun in 31 playoff games.

There are surprises on the national side too; the Dodgers have shutout the Cubs in two consecutive games, something that hasn’t happened to Chicago since May of 2014. You may have predicted a good series between these two, but after the year the Cubs had there outing so far has to come as a bit of a shock. Then again, this is pretty standard for the Cubs. Of course, they’ve been in a World Series drought for 108 years. Since 1908, the Cubs have made it to seven World Series and into the postseason 14 times, somehow always blowing it. This year could be different, especially coming off last postseason and the sweep served to them by the New York Mets. This was looking like a sure bet for the Cubs to cruise to the World Series, with guys like Jake Arrieta, Jon Lester, and Kyle Hendricks on the mound. Tuesday night the Dodgers bullied Arrieta, who gave up six hits and four runs in five innings.  

So throw out everything you thought you knew about baseball. The postseason is anyone’s game, and really anything can happen. I’ll be keeping my mouth shut and my fingers crossed for an Indians-Cubs matchup. After last night, we’re halfway there.

Molly Burkhardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mary.burkhardt@uconn.edu.