Women's Ice Hockey: Huskies hope to improve their record against Penn State

The Huskies played Quinnipiac University on Friday evening and lost 0-3.  The Huskies struggled to get shots on goal from the beginning.  They look to improve their record this weekend when they host Penn State. (Tyler Benton/ The Daily Campus)

In a double header at Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum, the UConn women’s ice hockey will host Penn State. Both teams are looking to improve their records.

Last weekend, the UConn team traveled to Troy, New York to play a double header against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. On Friday the Engineers beat the Huskies 3-0, where they again had four penalties during the game.

On Saturday when the Huskies and Engineers met again at Houston Field House, UConn was able to shake off Friday’s result and won 4-1. The goals were scored by freshman Briana Colangelo and junior Theresa Knutson; each with two goals.

The team had 35 shots and freshman goaltender Morgan Fisher had 21 saves during that game.

Penn State has a record 1-4-1 and their only victory was against Union 8-0.

Last weekend, the Nittany Lions hosted Boston College (BC) for a double header. That first game, Penn state was able to hold BC to a tie 3-3 in over time.

On Saturday when Penn State faced BC again, they fell to a score of 7-2. Their visit to Storrs will be a chance for the team to bounce back from that loss.

The Huskies and the Nittany Lions met for the first time last season, when the Huskies won both games.  

Almost exactly a year ago, UConn traveled to Pegula Ice Arena in University Park, Pennsylvania where they won 1-0 in the first game. The next day UConn made a comeback to achieve the victory 4-3 against Penn State.

UConn’s star player, Knutson, has six points with three goals and three assists. She and Colangelo will lead the Husky attack.

Chris MacKenzie started two different goaltenders in their visit to New York. It’s not clear whether Belanger or Fisher will be the starting goaltender.

Penn State’s Laura Bowman is the player to watch for the team. She has 10 points with two goals and one assist this season.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.