Women's Soccer: Huskies head to Philadelphia

The Women's Soccer team defeated USF 3-1 on their senior day. Stephanie Ribeiro scored 2 and Rachel Hill (pictured) scored 1.  They hope to continue the winning streak this weekend against Temple.  (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

No. 21 UConn women’s soccer is looking to extend its nine-game unbeaten run when the team visits Temple Saturday afternoon.

The Huskies (13-2-1) are undefeated so far in the American and hope the streak will continue against the Owls (3-13) who have yet to win a conference matchup.

“We’ve got three games on the road, those games are tough. There are no easy games right now. Even the bottom teams that haven’t won one are going to give you one heck of a game. It’s going to be tough three road games,” head coach Len Tsantiris said. “It’s draining mentally away from home. There is a lot of factors. We are going to try and rest them to make sure they are sharp.”

Containing Temple forward Gabriella McKeown will be a top priority for UConn’s defense. The junior has notched three goals and two assists for the Owls this season.

Temple goalkeeper, Jordan Nash, will face the tall task of stopping the dynamic Huskies’ attack, led by senior forward Stephanie Ribeiro, who is currently tied for most goals in the country with 15 and is second in the nation in assists with 12. Ribeiro’s strike partner, senior forward Rachel Hill, also has 12 goals this season.

Nash has done a good job of keeping her team in games and as a result leads the conference with 90 saves this season. Nash should expect to face many shots from a UConn squad that averages 17.6 per game.

The Huskies have their own rock in the net in senior Emily Armstrong. Armstrong has 65 saves and seven clean sheets this season.

Last time the two teams met, UConn won a close 1-0 match, but the Huskies lead the series 3-0 all time.

Although the Huskies have dominated conference play this season, Tsantiris wants his team to finish strong.

“The season isn’t over yet. I’m not going to be happy or sad yet, we need to win the next game and the next game and the next game, and then who knows maybe I’ll be happy,” Tsantiris said.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.