Conference dominance continues for UConn women's soccer

The Women's Soccer team defeated USF 3-1 on Oct, 16. their senior day. Stephanie Ribeiro scored 2 and Rachel Hill (no. 3) scored 1.  UConn played Temple University on Saturday, Oct. 22 in Philadelphia and finished with 1-0 victory.  (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn Women’s soccer was in Philadelphia Saturday for a match against regional conference foe Temple (3-14). Despite the Owls record, the victory did not find the Huskies (14-2-1) easily.

UConn would have offensive pressure early and often, outshooting Temple 12-3 in the first half. Unsurprisingly, redshirt senior forward Stephanie Ribeiro was a catalyst, taking several shots early going, including one that went off the post.

In the 19th minute, UConn had a strong opportunity as a Ribeiro corner kick found freshman midfielder Alana Moore, but her shot missed wide.

Starting at outside midfield, junior Tanya Altrui was also a big part of the first half offense. In the 22nd minute, she would put back to back shots on net, but Temple keeper Jordan Nash and the Owl defense made sure the Huskies remained scoreless.

UConn would garner a couple more chances, some created by senior forward Rachel Hill, but couldn’t put one through despite their dominance.

Temple would lead off the second half with back to back shots, but neither posed any real threat. Freshman midfielder Erin Spillane had a strong second half, peppering several shots on net alongside Hill and Ribeiro, but Nash would take care of business for Temple.

In the 72nd minute, Gabriella McKeown missed wide for Temple off a free kick in what was likely their best opportunity of the game. Right after that, UConn would strike.

A Temple foul inside the box created a penalty kick opportunity for UConn. Coach Len Tsantiris would have Ribeiro take the kick and she buried it to give UConn a 1-0 lead. It was good for her 16th goal of the season, and she now has 43 points for the year, both records the best in the country. It was also her ninth game winning goal of the year, another metric in which she leads the NCAA.

Temple instantly came back with a shot from Kerri McGinley, but senior goalkeeper Emily Armstrong would make the save. It was one of only four she had to make on the day as she completed her eighth shutout of the season.

Despite only a 1-0 victory, the Huskies would ultimately outshoot the Owls 25-9. The victory keep the Huskies undefeated in conference play at 6-0-1 and kept the Owls winless in conference at 0-7. The Huskies will have two more conference games on the road, at Cincinnati on Oct. 27 and at East Carolina on Oct. 30 before it is tournament time.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.