Lum’s efforts propel women's hockey to first home victory

Junior Leah Lum (no. 7) has skated in all 37 games and had six shot attempts this Saturday, Oct. 22.  UConn women's hockey face Penn State this weekend and finished with a 0-0 tie on Friday, Oct. 21 and a 4-2 win on Saturday, Oct. 22.  (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)  

This past weekend, the UConn women’s hockey team faced Penn State in a double header at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs. The first game, played at 7 p.m. on Friday, finished with a tie at 0-0.  The second game, however, was a 4-2 Husky win behind two goals from junior Leah Lum.

Lum’s efforts were visible not only from the two goals she scored but from the energy she brought while on the ice. She had six shot attempts on Saturday, tied with fellow teammate Theresa Knutson for the most in the game. She was also active defensively, contributing to the shutout on Friday night.

“All weekend she had a lot of energy, really got the puck making plays,” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said after the win on Saturday. “She got rewarded with two goals in the third so we’re pretty happy for her. We’re happy with a lot of our players, she had a great weekend.”

Last season, Lum skated in all 37 games and finished third on the team in overall points with 23, so this may be the start of another hard-working and energetic season from Lum.

As a team, UConn defense was very good this weekend, especially on Saturday.

“We struggled early on and really started to settle down and really make solid decisions with the puck and once we started doing that the game started to turn a bit for us.” MacKenzie said on Saturday.

The third period was crucial for the Huskies, as that is when they scored three out of their four goals. UConn also took 10 more shots in the third than Penn State, showcasing both their defensive and offensive prowess.

“[It was a] good solid team effort, [we] really turned it on in the 3rd,” MacKenzie said.

The Huskies will next play Boston College on Friday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m.at Freitas Ice Forum at home in Storrs.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.