Huskies look to finish strong on the road

The Women's Soccer team defeated USF 3-1 on their senior day Sunday Oct. 16, 2016. Stephanie Ribeiro scored 2 and Rachel Hill scored 1. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The No. 19 UConn women’s soccer team (14-2-1) will finish their regular season this weekend when they visit Cincinnati (10-4-3, 3-2-2 AAC) and East Carolina (4-11-1, 0-6-1 AAC).

Led by one of the best players in the country, Stephanie Ribeiro, the Huskies will look to finish regular season conference play undefeated after going 6-0-1.

Ribeiro has thrived in her new position up top for UConn and is leading the country in total points (43), total goals (16) and game winning goals (9).

First up for the Huskies are the Bearcats, who are red hot right now. Cincinnati is on a four game unbeaten run that includes two wins. The Huskies will have to watch out for forward Julie Gavorski who leads the team with 17 points this season.

The match holds extra weight for the Bearcats who have yet the clinch their spot in the American Athletic Conference Championship tournament.

Historically, the matchup has been a close one with UConn just barely leading the series 4-3-2. Although, Cincinnati did win the last time the two met in an overtime thriller that knocked the Huskies out of the conference tournament in the semifinal round.

Later this week, UConn will take on East Carolina. The Pirates are a classic case of a team whose record is not indicative of their quality. They have lost their last three games in overtime in matches that could have gone either way.

UConn and East Carolina do not have much of a history, but the Huskies have won the three times they have played, with UConn winning 3-0 the last time out.

With two wins this weekend, the Huskies will clinch the top spot in the American and will host the conference tournament.

The Huskies will surely appreciate the home field advantage as Morrone Stadium has been a fortress for the team this year. They have gone 10-1-0 at home, with the lone loss coming earlier this year against Rutgers.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.