Lazy Boy on Campus: Voting is the laziest thing you can do

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

(Illustration/Alicia Fitzmaurice)

Before we get started, I would like to address the elephant in the room. As many of you may have noticed, I didn’t write a column last week. For some of you, this may not have come come as much of a surprise. After all, who would have thought that the “Lazy Boy on Campus” would be able to keep writing a column week after week? The fact that I haven’t already quit must surprise a lot of people. But I promise, I have a good excuse. Remember the goal of this column? To survive a jam-packed schedule while being as lazy as possible. Last week I had to survive two essays, two midterms, advisor meetings and senioritis, but I made it through - and here I am. This column won’t be on hiatus again for a while, so buckle up and get hyped.

I’d like to pose a question to you. What’s the laziest thing that you, as a student, can do to be a good citizen? Go talk at the Capital? I mean you could, but that takes a car, gas money, and a really open schedule. You could serve jury duty, but that requires you to take time off from work. If you are really dedicated you could join the military, but that takes a level of commitment that not everybody is ready for.

So what can you do that doesn’t take up a lot of time, is totally free and doesn’t take a huge level of commitment. If you’ve ever walked into a high school civics class, then you’ll know the one thing you can do is vote.

My editor forced me to do this. If I'm going to make something embarrassing like this than the least you can do is vote. (Illustration/Amar Batra)

For those of us with the ability to register, voting is the easiest, laziest way to participate in our democracy. Throughout this election cycle, you have probably been told that you either don’t have a voice or that voting is very hard. For most of you, neither of those is true.

Candidates have been arguing that the election is rigged and that it doesn’t matter how you vote, because your vote isn’t really counted. But voting is how our country has decided who will hold power since our country’s inception. We see the polls every day, polls that show somewhere in America, people are making their voices heard about who they want to be in power.

We have it super easy. All we have to do is walk over to a voting booth and cast a ballot. That’s one of the many ways we can share our voices. There are many people living in this country who don’t have a voice. If they can’t use their voice then we need to speak for them.

And if you think that voting in itself is hard, then you haven’t been spending much time on campus during the past few months. Every single day, there have been student organizations pushing people to register to vote. If you’ve somehow missed all of the people tabling, then simply walk over to Mansfield Town Hall near Storrs Center. They can register you to vote any day up to, and including, Election Day. All of us have spent time in Storrs Center. This will just take you a little farther. Meanwhile there are people in this country who can’t make it out to vote, or whose voting place is too far to get to.

We owe it to everyone who can’t cast a vote or who has given their life for us to vote.

This column is normally not so heavy, however, being lazy does not mean that you shouldn’t participate in democracy. For those of us living on campus, voting is the easiest thing in the world. You literally walk in, hand them an ID, confirm your address and fill out a ballot. It’s as easy as buying alcohol (or soda for our underage readers).

If you’re going to be lazy, then at least do it the right way. Take an extra two seconds out of your day and cast a ballot on November 8. The lazy boy (or girl) in your heart will thank you.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.