Microwavable Meals: “Easy as pie” warm apples

Warm apples is a perfect replacement for warm apple pie, especially if you don't have an oven or a lot of space to work in. (Dan Parsons/Flickr, Creative Commons) 

Fall is a favorite season for many here at the University of Connecticut, and very few things say “New England Fall” quite like apples. Apple picking is a classic fall pastime, and nothing is quite as delicious as this crisp and fresh fruit.

A few weeks ago one of the other writers here at The Daily Campus gave her take on an apple pie recipe, but not all of us have the luxury of having a kitchen. I have found an “easy as pie” warm apple recipe that can be made even the most cramped dorm room.

There are very few ingredients, and the only cooking supplies you need are measuring tools, a microwave safe container and a microwave. The end result is a dessert so delicious that you’ll find yourself making this healthy treat whenever you have two minutes to spare.

There are few things I have made in a microwave that rival the warmth and comfort provided by this dish. These warm and gooey apples are reminiscent of a delicious apple pie made in your childhood home. An added bonus was that my tiny dorm room began to smell of my delicious apple concoction.

My “easy as pie” recipe is based off a recipe from Salad in a Jar, a recipe website that specializes in healthy desserts. All that you really need is one apple (cut up anyway you please), one teaspoon of sugar, one half of a teaspoon of cinnamon, one-fourth of a teaspoon of cornstarch and one tablespoon of water.

If you don’t have measuring tools, don’t worry. One sugar packet is equal to one teaspoon of sugar, and you can use the sugar packet to measure out the other dry ingredients as well.

Put all of the ingredients in a microwave safe container and mix well to coat the apples in the ingredients. The final step is to cover your container (make sure you leave an opening to vent) and microwave on high for two minutes.

When your apples are done, there are countless ways you can eat them. You can pour your apples over ice cream, oatmeal or eat them plain. My personal favorite is to crush up graham crackers and pour them on top of the apples, giving the apples some much needed texture. I also like to use the graham crackers as a vehicle for the apples, and if I close my eyes I swear I am munching on an actual apple pie.

This recipe is so quick and easy, and is a great fall snack that just about anyone can make in less than 10 minutes. If you are looking for a simple comfort food to munch on while watching a scary movie this Halloween, go microwave some apples and put on your movie of choice.

Lauren Brown is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu