Point/Counterpoint: What’s scarier, clowns or ghosts?

With Halloween just a few short days away the editor and associate editor of the Life section here at The Daily Campus battle it out as to which is the more scarier of the two: Ghosts or clowns?

We are on a college campus that is 135 years old. There is no doubt that there are ghosts wandering around us all the time. (Sean MacEntee/Flickr, Creative Commons)

Angie DeRosa: There is no question that ghosts are the scariest things on Earth, especially when compared to clowns. No one was even talking about clowns a month ago before they allegedly started appearing on school grounds.

Think about it, how often are you going to see a clown? Not very often. We are on a college campus that is 135 years old. There is no doubt that there are ghosts wandering around us all the time. Why do you think people are constantly breaking into the abandoned buildings in Depot Campus? They’re not going there to look for clowns, they’re going there to catch a glimpse of the lost souls.

Furthermore, if a clown was going after you, you could easily find a way to defend yourself. If a ghost went after you good luck trying to get out of that one Scooby Doo, ghosts are immortal.

Let us not forget we are in Connecticut. The most iconic Connecticutian of them all is Lorraine Warren, a paranormal investigator and frequent high school ~Halloween~ guest speaker. Her investigative work with the supernatural inspired the films that were based on TRUE events: “Amityville Horror,” “Annabelle,” “The Haunting in Connecticut” and “The Conjuring.”

Have you ever met a clown that you’ve trusted? Ghosts are exactly who they appear to be, whereas who knows what’s hiding underneath that clown mask or the makeup. (Graeme Maclean/Flickr, Creative Commons)

Megan Krementowski: Although Angie makes a good point, I have to disagree and say clowns are scarier. According to “Harry Potter,” some ghosts are extremely kind and harmless—take Nearly Headless Nick, for example. Completely harmless.

On the contrary, have you ever met a clown that you’ve trusted? I’m assuming not. Ghosts are exactly who they appear to be, whereas who knows what’s hiding underneath that clown mask or the makeup. Also, what is up with that red nose thing? They are always disguised and you never know what’s under there.

Although Angie’s point about living in prime ghost territory is completely valid, at least you know that ghosts are hanging out in your state. With clowns, they just pop out wherever they please without any warning. Take Twisty the clown from “American Horror Story,” for example. That show tries to confront our worst fears as Americans. It’s literally patriotic to hate clowns with a passion. There’s nothing scary about a person under a sheet, we’ve seen it all. If you see a clown, you’ll cross to walk on the other side of the street, or even call 911.

DeRosa: You see Megan, I acknowledge your tribute to Harry Potter but let us not forget that although many of us wish he was real, he isn’t. And speaking of red noses, you know who else has one? Rudolph, and he saved Christmas. Yes clowns are masked figures, and I will admit that is kind of frightening. But ya wanna know how you solve that problem? You take the mask off. Your argument about nothing being scary about a person under a sheet, stands true with there being nothing scary with a person in a mask. You can escape a clown by crossing the street, but you can’t escape a ghostly spirit you might not be able to see, let alone touch.

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets

Megan Krementowski is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.