UConn volleyball suffers their fifth straight loss against Temple

The UConn Women's Volleyball team lost 3-2 against USF at  Gampel Pavilion  on Sunday Oct. 16, 2016. Kayla Williams (6) led her team with 13 kills. Later that week, they lost to Temple in Philadelphia.  (Bill Heyne/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn volleyball team (13-9, 4-7 American) suffered a tough 0-3 set loss to Temple (15-6, 8-3 American) on Wednesday in Philadelphia. This is the Huskies fifth straight loss and keeps them in the bottom half of the AAC conference standings. They are behind Memphis (3-7), Tulsa (2-8) and Houston (0-10).

In the first set, it looked like the Huskies were going to make it a close competition getting the score to 13-14 in the middle of the set. However, Temple would go onto a 10-5 run to end the set. The second set was also a back and forth affair, but the Owls were able to pull away and go up two sets. In the third set, the Huskies showed that they had heart by going on a comeback run every time they went down, but again it wasn’t enough. Temple was able to hold off the resurging Huskies to finish the match with a final set score of 25-19.

Redshirt freshman Kayla Williams almost registered her 11th double-double of the season as she had a team high 11 kills and nine digs. Junior Danielle Cabel had nine kills and senior Hayley Cmajdalka had eight. Sophomore Emma Turner had a team-high, 28 assists, while the next highest on the team was sophomore Elizabeth Kline with three.

Temple had the advantage in every major statistical category in the match other than aces. The Owls were able to contain the Huskies’ formidable offense that leads the AAC in kills, assists, and fourth in conference in hitting percentage. They held the advantage in kills (43-38), blocks (7-1), assists (42-33), and digs (41-32).

Much of Temple’s success can be attributed to the dominance of junior Irem Asci and junior Kyra Coundourides. Asci was the only player in the match to have a double-double, with 16 kills and 14 digs. Coundourides led both teams with an absurd 39 assist and had a team high of two aces. Senior Kristen Overton led the match with five blocks.

The Huskies will look to get back on the right track as they go up against Memphis on Sunday at Gampel Pavilion at noon.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.