Volleyball: UConn looks to snap their losing streak at home against Memphis

UConn's Jade Strawberry (#3) spikes the ball in a game against USF on Oct. 16, 2016. The Huskies return home this weekend to take on Memphis. (Bill Heyne/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team will look to win their first game since beating Tulsa on Oct. 9 when they host Memphis this Sunday at Gampel Pavilion.

The Huskies (13-9, 4-7 The American) have lost five straight matches in two weeks and are coming off a tough sweep against Temple this past Wednesday. The Huskies are desperate for a win as they are in the bottom half of the American conference standings and are hurting their chances of making the NCAA tournament. Memphis (11-11, 3-7 The American) is on a three-game winning streak and sits below the Huskies in the conference standings.

Even though the Huskies are in a slump, they are still one of the best offensive teams in the American. They are currently leading the conference in assists per set with 13.37, kills per set with 14.32, and are fourth in hitting percentage with a .239 mark. Redshirt freshman Kayla Williams is still playing at a high level as she had her fourth-straight match with double-digit kills. She is also seventh in the American with 3.44 kills per set. Junior Tosin Adeniyi leads the American in hitting percentage (.372) and sophomore Emma Turner is tenth in the conference in assists per set (6.23).

Coach Kris Grunwald talked about the team’s best way to end their losing streak.

“More than anything… get back to focusing on the basics. When we were on our run we were serving and passing well and were the top ranked team in the country in kills per set. We have lost some of that focus in some areas which has led to a lot of errors. Fortunately, for the most part, those are things we control so we will focus on those moving forward,” Grunwald said.

Memphis, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to have the offense to keep up with the Huskies. They are last in the American in assists per set with 11.35 per game, second-to-last both in hitting percentage with a .190 mark and kills per set with 12.21 per game. That lack of offense was apparent when they went up against the Huskies on Sept. 30 and lost in three sets. However, over the past three games the Tigers have maintained a hitting percentage of over .225 per game, so they will look to keep their momentum going as they come to Storrs. Junior Regan Comperry leads the American in service aces per set with 0.39 and is seventh in the conference in assists per set with 7.35.

The Huskies will go down to New Orleans to face Tulane on Friday, Nov. 4.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.