Women's Hockey: Huskies open up Hockey East play with Boston College

Sophomore forward Rebecca Lindblad shoots the puck in a game against Penn State on Oct. 22, 2016. The Huskies open up Hockey East play this weekend. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team opens up Hockey East play as they takes on No. 5 Boston College in the first game of a double header that concludes on Saturday at BC.  

Last season BC was 40-1 overall and 24-0 in conference play, reaching the NCAA championship before losing to Minnesota. Most of their team from last year is returning this year including junior Megan Keller, who has seven points so far this season with one goal and six assists. Keller is an assistant captain for the 2016-17 season and is fifth in program history in defensemen scoring with 76 points, fifth in defensemen goals with 16, third in defensemen assists with 60 and is the fastest defensemen in program history to reach 50 points. She will most certainly be a threat to the Huskies both offensively and defensively in both games.

Another star player for BC is freshman forward Caitrin Lonergan, who has nine points so far this season, including five goals and four assists.

This season BC is 4-2-4 and 3-1-0 in conference play.

Last season when these two teams met, BC won each of the four times. Almost exactly one year ago, UConn was held to zero points in a double header that occurred over Halloween weekend.

“We will be taking on a tough opponent in Boston College this weekend. If we play up to our capabilities, we will have success. We will focus on our special teams and neutral zone play.” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

To counter BC, look for UConn (4-2-1) to employ junior forward Theresa Knutson. Knutson leads the team this season in points with four goals and three assists. Another player to watch is junior defenseman Leah Lum, who had two excellent games last weekend against Penn State. So far this season Lum has five points with four goals and one assist.

Even after a successful weekend versus Penn State, UConn certainly has areas it can improve on for a tough matchup against the Eagles.

“Just managing the puck. Really understanding their speed and how we can… out-compete them on the ice,” MacKenzie said.

The first game of the double header begins at 7 p.m. on Friday at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.