Fall activities spotlight: pumpkin carving

Krementowski and friends spent Saturday afternoon carving pumpkins from Price Chopper. (Megan Krementowski/The Daily Campus)

This past Saturday, some of my friends and I decided on a whim to spend our afternoon carving pumpkins. While at Ted’s, we slapped together an unpolished plan to drive to the closest farm and pick pumpkins and then spend some time stopping at farm stands around campus. However, it had just begun to rain, so we had to settle on going pumpkin picking at good old Price Chopper in Storrs Center.

The store had a deal of “buy two pumpkins for $10,” so we purchased three and got to work. When we got back to the house, we got some knives, spoons and a bowl and set up shop on the deck. To really bring the fall aesthetic together, we started a fire in the back yard and broke out the Frisbee. I haven’t carved a pumpkin since I was about seven-years-old, which means I guess I have never carved one by myself. This was a character-building experience that I will cherish for at least one week.

One of my friends chose to go the traditional route and carved a jack-o’-lantern, while another etched the word “boobs” into his pumpkin. I decided to carve “spoopy” into mine. The word began when people started noticing low-budget Halloween decorations featuring spelling mistakes such as “creppy” instead of creepy and “spoopy” rather than spooky, according to The Daily Dot.

This pumpkin affair took roughly an hour from start to finish and was a great way to spend time with friends while engaging in a seasonal activity. My only critique of the situation would be to replace our Price Chopper run with going to a local farm stand or pumpkin patch. Remember, you are an artist, and pumpkins are your canvas.

Megan Krementowski is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.