Field Hockey: No. 1 UConn stays undefeated with win

Freshman midfielder Antonia Tiedtke drives the ball up the field during the Huskies 6-0 victory over temple on Friday, Sept. 22, 2016. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Camous)

The No. 1 UConn field hockey team continued their dominance with a shutout win in Providence Friday night.

The Huskies (11-0, 3-0 Big East) took care of the Providence Friars with a final score of 2-0 thanks to goals from junior Casey Umstead and freshman Svea Boker.

With the win, the Huskies remain the only undefeated team in Division I this season. Friday’s game marks their 37th straight regular season victory.

Facing one of the best defenses in the nation, UConn was finally able to break the scoreless tie in the 32nd minute of the first half when Umstead found the back of the net off a penalty stroke.

Redshirt junior Nina Klein faced a season-high five shots on her way to recording her third shutout in the last five games.  The Huskies and Friars notched eight shots each in Friday’s contest.

Boker added an insurance goal in the 62nd minute; the goal was Boker’s second of her career.

With the assist on Boker’s goal, junior Charlotte Veitner is now tied with sophomore Amanda Collins with a team-high of nine assists. Along with nine assists, Veitner leads the team with 16 goals and 41 points. The assist is also Veitner’s 42nd of her career, just four away from the program-record.

With the win, the Huskies have sole possession of first place in the Big East. UConn and Providence were tied at 2-0 before Friday’s game. The Friars are now in a four-way-tie for second place with Old Dominion, Liberty, and Quinnipiac.

UConn will host Villanova next Friday, who are winless in the Big East, before taking on Liberty a week later in what could a battle at the top of the standings.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets @conn_donahue