UConn student passes away Monday morning

First responders were called to East Campus for an unresponsive student. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

A student at the University of Connecticut identified as Sean L. Sullivan, a freshman economics major attending the Storrs campus from Norwalk, Connecticut, died late Monday morning in his dorm, according to university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

“Unfortunately, it is true that we lost one of our own today (Monday),” Reitz said.

UConn Police responded to Grange Hall at East Campus on a report of Sullivan found unresponsive in his dorm room. Upon arrival, medics attempted to revive him, but were unsuccessful. At this time, a police investigation is ongoing, according to Rietz.

There were no indications of foul play or criminal involvement, nor are there safety dangers to others. However, the cause of death will be determined after the state Medical Examiner’s Office releases results of an autopsy.

The Dean of Students' Office, Residential Life and others met with Sullivan’s friends and other living on his floor in Grange Hall Monday night for an open discussion. They encouraged students to visit and/or contact Counseling & Mental Health Services (CMHS) to speak with someone in confidence about feelings over this incident, Reitz said.

“We extend our sincere condolences to Sean’s family and friends,” Reitz said.

Anyone struggling with this incident can contact CMHS at 860-486-4705 to speak to an on-call therapist or schedule an appointment. More information can be found on CHMS’s website. http://counseling.uconn.edu/

Molly Stadnicki is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at molly.stadnicki@uconn.edu.