Women’s Hockey: Huskies open their season with a sweep against Union

Junior forward Theresa Knutson prepares to shoot during a February 13, 2016 match against the University of Maine. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team traveled to Schenectady, New York for a double header to open the 2016-17 season where it swept Union College and saw three freshmen score their first career goals.

The Huskies played Union at Messa Rink on Friday where they dominated with a 5-1 victory. The Huskies scored halfway through the first period as freshman Leona Sim scored her first career goal as a Husky.

The period ended with seven shots for UConn and seven saves from junior goalkeeper Annie Belanger.

In the second period, UConn carried on the momentum as freshman Erica D’Errico scored in the seventh minute. It was her first goal for the team.

The Huskies out-shot the Dutchwomen 12-7 in the second period. Belanger continued her performance with seven saves.

Junior Theresa Knutson, started the third period with a pair of goals, scoring in the fourth and sixth minutes. Knutson’s goal scoring form continued from last season where she led the team with 19 goals and 28 points.

Union attempted to get back into the game and scored with four minutes to play in the last period. The Huskies responded with another goal, 30 seconds after Union scored, this time from freshman Briana Colangelo, to seal the victory 5-1.

UConn returned to Messa Rink on Saturday for the second game in the double header. This time the Huskies won by a smaller margin.

The Dutchwomen scored a late goal in the first period from Rachel de Perio. Belanger had five saves during the first period.

UConn struggled to find the equalizer for most of the second period. Junior Justine Fredette found the net for the Huskies with two minutes to go on the clock.

The tie was broken by sophomore Kayla Mee, who took advantage with a power play early in the third period and tipped the balance in favor of the Huskies.

Union pulled their goaltender with a minute to play to try and equalize the game but the Huskies prevailed in their season opener.

The team returns to Storrs on Oct. 7 to play their home opener against Quinnipiac at Freitas ice Forum.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.