UCPD and Women's Center host domestic violence awareness events during October

UConn police department and the Women’s Center will be hosting several events to spread awareness this month. The offices of the Women's Center and Violence Against Women Protection Program are located on the fourth floor of the Student Union. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

October is domestic violence awareness month and both the UConn police department and the Women’s Center will be hosting several events to spread awareness.

UCPD is sponsoring “The Yellow Dress” on Oct 11., captain Magdalena Silver said.

“This one-woman play portrays the signs and dangers of dating violence through the story of a young woman who was a victim of intimate partner violence,” Silver said.

The police department is also going to be sponsoring a winter clothing drive that will be running until Oct. 10, she said. The items that are donated will be donated to CT Domestic Violence shelters through the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

“Donations will be accepted September 27th through October 10th in the UCPD Library Substation located in the basement near the Leisure Reading Room,” Silver said. “Encouraged items include new or lightly worn: gloves, scarves, hats, earmuffs, (and new) socks.”

Donations can also be dropped off at UConn’s Community Policing Unit, according to the daily digest.

The Women’s Center will also be hosting the Clothesline Project throughout October, Women’s Center director Kathleen Holgerson said.

“The Clothesline Project is a traveling visual display of T-shirts made by survivors and secondary survivors of gender-based violence to raise awareness about the prevalence of these violations right here on campus,” according to the UConn Women’s Center website.

In September there were several arrests on campus that could be considered violence.

The Violence Against Women Prevention Program (VAWPP) is dedicated to addressing and preventing all forms of sexual violence through education, outreach, and advocacy, according to its website. (Akshara Thejaswi/The Daily Campus)

The U.S. Department of Justice defines domestic violence as, “a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner.”

There were several incidents on campus in September, including online harassment, assault and disorderly conduct.

“Domestic violence can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic or physical actions or threats of action that influence another person,” according to the Department of Justice website.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando