Volleyball: UConn remains hot with win against Memphis

Senior outside blocker Camille Evans (9) and junior middle blocker Tosin Adeniyi (13) prepare to block a ball during the Huskies 3-1 victory over Tulane on Sunday, Sept. 22, 2016. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team continues their red-hot season as they swept the University of Memphis Tigers in straight sets. This is the Huskies’ seventh three-set win this season.

While the Huskies(12-3, 3-1 American) did beat the Tigers (8-8, 0-4 American) in the three sets, it was no easy task. They were down by three points in the third set multiple times only to come back and prevent any chance of a fourth set. The Huskies had a team hitting percentage of .390 compared to Memphis’ .208 percentages.

Senior Camille Evans and redshirt freshman Kayla Williams combined for 21 kills. Evans had a team and match-high 11 kills and Williams had 10 kills to go along with 15 digs to give her her eighth double-double of the season. Junior Kenya Cason also added to the Huskies dominant offense with 12 digs. Two Huskies had 20 or more assists in the game on Friday night. Senior Rebecca Rivera had a team-high 23 and sophomore Emma Turner had 20 assists.

In the first set, the Huskies were tied 7-7 until they went on a 7-0 run to help them gain a lead that helped them win their first set 25-19. UConn had a big advantage in the attack department in the first set. The Huskies had a .472 hitting percentage as opposed to the Tigers .387 hitting percentage.

The second set was the same story as the first set. The Huskies went back and forth, trading points until the Huskies were able to pull away and win the set handily. UConn was tied 5-5, going back forth early in the second set when the Huskies went on a 4-0 run to give them a 9-5 lead. The Tigers wouldn’t see the lead again for the rest of the set as the Huskies would cruise to a 23-12 win to give themselves a 2-0 advantage.

The third set was much different than the others. At one point the Huskies were down 24-22. It wasn’t until junior Danielle Cabel recorded two straight kills to tie the set before the Huskies went on the grab the win.

UConn will be going up against SMU next Friday at 8 p.m. and Tulsa on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu