Women's Soccer: Ribeiro now tops the scoring chart

Senior forward Stephanie Ribeiro races past a Memphis defender during the Huskies 4-1 victory on Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016. Ribeiro scored two goals and is now tied for most goals in the country. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Following a two goal performance against Memphis on Sunday Stephanie Ribeiro is tied for the most goals in the nation.

With 12 goals this season the redshirt senior is now tied for most goals in the country with BYU's Ashley Hatch.

Ribeiro also leads the country in game winning goals this season with eight.

“I’ve just been working as hard as I can to get as many goals as I can. We’re working well as a team, we’ve been doing a lot of shooting in practice,” said Ribeiro. “We just went out and played as hard as we could.”

Heading into the match the talented forward was tied with Alexis Pelafas of Central Michigan at the number three spot on the scoring chart.

Ribeiro is enjoying somewhat of a breakout season this year. Last season, the Rhode Island native tallied seven goals after missing the 2014 season with an injury.

Teammate Rachel Hill also tallied a double this weekend against the Tigers, moving her to third in the scoring chart nationally with 10.

The dynamic duo have carried the Huskies so far this season.

“We’ve been playing together for four years so we’ve definitely had time to learn how to play together and we have great chemistry,” Ribeiro said.

In addition, to getting their second win of the season the Huskies wore pink jerseys on Sunday in honor of breast cancer awareness month. Earlier this year UConn wore yellow laces to raise awareness about pediatric cancer.

Alexa Casimiro got her first career start Sunday as well. “She’s been playing well that's what we do at practice. Whoever shows up and is consistent. She's a fighter and has the skills to keep the ball,” said head coach Len Tsantiris.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.