Field Hockey: Huskies finish regular season on a high note

The Huskies take on QU at the Sherman Complex and pull off another win with a score of 5-1. Goals scored by Amanda Collins, Ann Middendorf, Svea Boker, and Barbara van den Hoogen (2).  (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The No. 3 UConn field hockey team played their last two games of the regular season this weekend, beating Quinnipiac 5-1 on Friday evening and defeated No. 12 Boston College in overtime on Sunday afternoon. The Huskies finish the season with an 18-1 record.

After their first loss of the season last Sunday at Maryland, UConn came out strong in Friday’s game against Quinnipiac. Sophomore Amanda Collins gave the Huskies a 1-0 lead just four minutes into the game with her 17th goal of the year.

Freshmen Svea Boker and Barbara van den Hoogen combined for three goals in the game, including van den Hoogen’s first multi-goal game of her career.

“I thought that we played exceptionally well,” UConn head coach Nancy Stevens said. “Generated a lot of shots, five goals, and three of the goals came from freshmen. When your freshmen step up and get three of your five goals, that’s terrific.”

The Huskies peppered the Quinnipiac goalkeeper with 31 shots, but Olivia Golini made 13 saves to keep the score close. UConn received nine penalty corners while holding the Bobcats to zero.

With the win, UConn finishes Big East play at 7-0. The Huskies won the regular season title and will have the No. 1 seed in the Big East Conference Tournament next weekend.

“We’re really proud to represent the Big East,” Stevens said. “We’ve had great success in the conference, and every Big East game is very important to us.”

On Sunday, the Huskies traveled to Boston to take on No. 12 Boston College in the season finale. The game was back-and-forth throughout, going into overtime where a goal from junior Casey Umstead sealed a 4-3 victory for the Huskies. Umstead scored on a penalty stroke in the 84th minute, her eighth goal in eight penalty stroke chances.

After a scoreless first half, the two teams combined for plenty of offense during the second half. Van den Hoogen put UConn ahead 1-0 early in the half, and the Huskies would hold on to that lead for 15 minutes before a flurry of five goals were scored in a 12 minute span.

The Eagles scored two quick goals to take the lead, and UConn responded with two goals of their own just 20 seconds apart. Senior Anna Middendorf scored on an assist from Umstead, and junior Charlotte Veitner scored to put the Huskies up by one again.

Boston College (10-8) found an equalizer late to send the game into overtime. UConn goalkeeper Nina Klein made two crucial saves in overtime to keep the score tied. Klein had six saves on the day as the Huskies outshot the Eagles 16-11.

Next up for UConn is the Big East Conference Tournament. The Huskies own the No. 1 seed and will take on Temple in the semifinals on Friday.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.