Letter to the Editor: Towers of Terror

To whom it may concern:

My name is Stephen Winchell, and I’m a proud alumni of the University of Connecticut (CLAS, 08), but more specifically, I’m a proud alumni of the University of Connecticut who lived in West Campus. And I’m sick and tired of alumni who lived in Towers lording it over me at every opportunity. Their arrogance is unfounded and it’s time to set the record straight.

Towers is indeed a lovely place to live. The facilities are spacious and comfortable, the dining hall is fantastic, and the views from the top of the hill are magnificent. This is not a matter of opinion; this is an indisputable fact. But it is also an indisputable fact that these luxuries turn every resident of Towers into haughty, cavalier braggarts. 

The West Campus Residence Halls don’t have the bravado of Towers. No, these are buildings without those superfluous niceties. These are buildings full of honest, hard-working Huskies who don’t mind forfeiting the nicer things in order to enjoy the bustling heart of UConn. For while Towers stands loftily apart from the rest of campus, West sits right in the middle, just a stone's throw from Fairfield Way, Homer Babbidge, South Dining Hall, and Gampel Pavilion. 

My time in West was a formative experience. I found myself. But more importantly, I found UConn. Yet every time I’m at a party or social gathering where Towers alumni are present, they sneer and belittle me and those four fine buildings that make up West Campus. Their undeserved arrogance will no longer stand, and the world will soon realize that West is best, and Towers is trash.

Thank you for your time,
Stephen Winchell
CLAS, 08