Recent arrest is among 32 reports of stalking at UConn

There are blue lights across UConn's Storrs campus that students and faculty can use if they feel unsafe at any point. (The Daily Campus)

There were 32 reports of stalking at UConn in 2015, according to a report from UConn’s Title IX Office to the Connecticut General Assembly.

“Stalking occurs when a person engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person under circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to fear for the person’s safety or the safety of others, or to experience substantial emotional distress,” according to the report.

Some forms of stalking include making threats and unwanted communication, among other things, according to the report.

One such case at UConn involves Lennie Taylor, 24, of Hartford, CT, who was arrested on Oct. 22 and charged with stalking, harassment and conspiracy, according to the arrest log.

Taylor had contacted the victim after being told not to several times, according to the arrest warrant. Both the victim and Taylor were in a relationship, but once it ended Taylor began to harass the victim and the victim’s friends, as well as create false social media accounts in an attempt to locate the victim, according to the warrant.

Taylor was also arrested, under the family violence protocols, in September when he called the victim after being told not to, and was then let go, according to the arrest log.

In the United States, there are about 6 million stalking cases a year, and many of the victims are under the age of 25, according to campussafetymagazine.com.

“Often an underreported crime, stalking can involve a range of threatening behaviors exhibited in person and through e-mail, social media, and other technologies,” according to aaup.org.

UConn has several programs to promote awareness of stalking, and new students and employees receive “awareness programming” during their orientation, according to the report.

“The university provides training, education and awareness programs to Students and Employees to ensure broad understanding of this Policy and the topics and issues related to maintaining an education and employment environment free from harassment and discrimination,” according to the report.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando.