Three former UConn players selected in NBA D-League Draft

UConn was represented well in the NBA’s D-League draft on Sunday, with three former men’s basketball players selected in the first three rounds. Each year eligible players are drafted to one of the 22 D-League affiliations of the NBA’s professional teams.

All three players were transfers who played only one season at UConn. First was Shonn Miller, taken in the first round and 13th overall by the Greensboro Swarm, affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets. The Swarm are one of three new teams added to the D-League this year. After transferring from Cornell, Miller averaged 12.3 points and 5.2 rebounds last year in 26 minutes per game at UConn. His draft stock was hurt slightly by a subpar Summer League stint with the Utah Jazz, but the Swarm still used their first-ever draft pick on the former UConn  forward.

Sterling Gibbs was selected midway through the second round by the Windy City Bulls, affiliate of the Chicago Bulls. Gibbs, a 6-foot-2-inch guard, played at University of Texas and Seton Hall before coming to UConn for his final season of eligibility, where he averaged 12 points and two assists in 33 minutes of action. In the offseason, Gibbs performed well for the Washington Wizards’ Summer League team, shooting 45 percent from the floor, including 60 percent from three-point range in four games.

Lasan Kromah was the final former Husky to be drafted, selected by the Westchester Knicks in the third round. Kromah, an oversized guard, played most of his collegiate career at George Washington University before transferring to UConn, just in time to win a national championship in 2014. Since leaving UConn, Kromah has been a star in the Turkish and Hungarian basketball leagues.

In other D-League related news, former Husky Daniel Hamilton has been added to the Oklahoma City Thunder’s affiliate D-League roster. Hamilton, who unexpectedly declared for the NBA Draft back in June, was drafted by the Denver Nuggets as the 56th overall pick and was subsequently traded to the Thunder.

The D-League Draft rarely produces superstars, but numerous draftees have gone on to successful NBA careers, including Shelvin Mack, Jimmer Fredette and Robert Covington.

Miller, Gibbs and Kromah will look to add their names to the list when D-League action kicks off in November.

Andrew Morrison is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu.