UConn Men's Soccer falls 2-0 at Memphis

UConn Men's Soccer defeats Boston College 1-0 in overtime on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at Morrone Stadium in Storrs, CT. The winning goal was scored by Dylan Greenberg with 7 seconds left on the overtime clock. UConn took a total of 14 shots in the entirety of the game. (Owen Bonaventura/The Daily Campus)

For only the second time this season, the UConn men’s soccer team dropped back-to-back games as the Huskies lost 2-0 on Saturday at Memphis. The loss dropped to 11-6 on the season and 3-3 in the conference.

Although the Huskies outshot the Memphis Tigers 13-12, they were unable to put one in the back of the net as they have been held scoreless in five of their six defeats. UConn was able to apply pressure throughout the first half, but could not figure out Memphis keeper Jake Leeker who stifled UConn with five saves. The Tigers were able to beat UConn redshirt junior Scott Levene in the 40th minute, as Jackson Morse was able to put away his fifth goal of the season.

Memphis added their second goal of the game in the 62nd minute as Morse was able to double up and put away his second of the night. Huskies sophomore Abdou Mbacke Thiam led the way with seven total shots and three shots on goal. UConn outshot the Tigers 8-3 in the second half and had the corner kick advantage as well, but could not score.

With the 2-0 conference loss, UConn is now tied in third in the conference with Cincinnati as both teams sit at nine conference points. Leading the way in the American is USF with 15 points, followed by Tulsa with 10 points.

Coming into the game, the Huskies received 13 votes in the NCAA rankings as they were the only AAC team to earn this honor. With only one game remaining, a conference win could improve their standing in the AAC and help their chances at playing of Morrone Stadium. On the season, UConn is 7-2 at home and 4-4 at home, as the Huskies hold a massive goal differential playing at home.

The Huskies have one more game remaining, which is senior night, next Saturday at Morrone stadium against SMU. The senior night game will be at 7 p.m. on Nov. 5 and UConn will honor its six seniors on the field prior to the game.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.