Women’s Hockey gets swept in weekend series against No. 4/5 Boston College

Junior Leah Lum takes skating down the ice Saturday, Oct. 22 against Pennsylvania State University.  The girls played a weekend series Friday night at Freitas Ice Forum against Boston College.  The Eagles won 3-0. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus) 

The UConn women’s hockey team kicked off a weekend series Friday night at Freitas Ice Forum against Boston College in their first Hockey East matchup of the season. The first ten minutes of the game were evenly match, with shots on goal 8-7 in favor of Boston College. The last ten minutes saw a dominating performance from BC, as the Eagles went on to win 3-0.

UConn would not see another shot on goal for the entire period while BC made 11 additional shots. UConn also committed two penalties, one for checking and one for slashing. In the eighteenth minute of the period, BC’s Andie Anastos scored after several impressive blocks by Belanger. The period ended 1-0.

Period two saw UConn start to struggle. BC’s fast and aggressive play outmatched the UConn offense.

“Their speed really got us jumpy and I think we just need to settle down and play with a little more poise,” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

Anastos scored twice more in the period, once in the seventh minute and once in the 18th minute. After the third goal, MacKenzie called the referee over for a conversation.

“We had different calls. I mean, the refs played a role but in the end we do have to be better,” MacKenzie said.

Period three went by with no further damage, but the aggression of BC didn’t stop. They took 12 shots to UConn’s two. Overall BC outshot UConn 46-17. Listed as one of the three stars, UConn goalie Annie Belanger saved an impressive 43 shots during the three periods of play. UConn also committed five penalties to BC’s one. All three BC goals were scored on a power play.

Game two switched venues, kicking off at Conte Forum Saturday. Belanger was back in the net and the game was just as fast and aggressive as the night before. This time there were nine penalties committed, five for UConn and four for BC. Five of the nine were for checking or cross-checking. Period one saw three goals scored for BC, one by Caitrin Lonergan and two by Ryan Little.

Period two was strong for BC as they took 14 shots on goal, yet were unable to connect to the back of the net. Belanger saved 32 shots during the course of this game, totaling 75 over the two game series.

“She’s played great all year. She’s continuing to blossom into an elite goalie in the NCAA and I’m very proud of her,” MacKenzie said on the impressive weekend Belanger had.

UConn scored their only goal of the series in the game’s final period with a power play goal from Theresa Knutson in the 11th minute. However, BC scored in the eighth minute on a Serena Sommerfield goal, and then an empty net goal in the eighteenth by Anastos to give BC a 5-1 victory.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.